My Soul

Grayson

We went back to the hotel and decided to eat dinner together. Mary Ellen's instructions were for me to come to their suite. I've worked for Alistaire for years, and never got to stay in a penthouse suite.

She has a full kitchen, three bedrooms, sitting room, and believe it or not, a small workout room with a hot tub and small infinity pool.

Jacob gave me the tour a few days ago, and he's becoming quite accustomed to the high life. My house probably would look like a shack to him.

I knocked on the door, and it only took seconds for Jacob to answer, and he was wearing his swim trunks. "Mom said I can swim while we wait for our dinner." He said.

He pulled my hand to the pool, and I sat at the small table while he got in. "Look, I can swim all the way across!" I had to laugh, because it's not far from one end to the other.

I heard Mary Ellen's voice. "Grayson, I have water, scotch, pop, wine, whiskey and Hawaiian punch." I presume the punch is for Jacob.

"I'll have whatever you're taking." I said.

I hadn't taken my eyes off Jacob. It's strange learning you have a child, then seeing how much he resembles you can be overwhelming. I know how I was, and I presume Mary Ellen has been to the principals office a few times.

He reminds me of myself, except he has a very kind heart like his mother. He also has his mom's long lashes, but he mostly looks like me.

I heard her set my drink down next to me, and what I saw made my stomach turn.

Now I see how Preston could have been enjoying himself so throughly yesterday morning. She is in her swimsuit, and I knew she had filled out since we were kids, but Jesus Christ!

His hands were probably everywhere, all over that perfect body. The girl I knew at 18 probably didn't even own a swimsuit. This girl is in a bikini that was made for her body alone. It's not meant to be sexy, but anything Mary Ellen wears is sexy.

I tried to steal glances when I thought neither were looking. It's impossible to believe my son was actually once carried in that flat, but toned belly. It's like there's no evidence of part of me ever being inside her. Not one stretch mark to even indicate she had once carried a child. She is a masterpiece, and what I keep thinking about is that man touching her just yesterday.

This woman was supposed to be my wife someday. I guess I should be grateful, through Jacob, we will be linked for the rest of our lives, but I can't provide them the same lifestyle Preston already provides.

"He's so much like you." She says, and of course that brings a smile to my face.

"I hope he doesn't get into too much trouble." I respond, but she gave me a funny face I wish I could have captured.

"Mrs. Huddleston was his teacher this year. He told her that she should really go to Florida where all old people are supposed to go."

I laughed. "I mean, most do, don't they?"

She shook her head. "He glued his friend Jake to his chair, then pulled the fire alarm. I don't even know where he got the super glue. That was two days in school suspension and a very long essay about fire safety."

I shouldn't be laughing.

"Every single football game, he crashed into the cheerleaders. There is one girl that actually plays football and he constantly tackled her." She said.

"So, if she wants to play, she can't be treated differently." I said.

"I would agree, except he's the quarterback, and he had the ball."

I busted out laughing.

"He said she smells good."

Oh shit!

She rolls her eyes. "He has a fascination with dirt track racing, so I guess Indiana is in his blood."

"How big was he when he was born?" I asked.

"He was tiny, at only 6 pounds on the nose. I had him at 36 weeks, he was just too impatient I guess."

"Was anyone with you?"

She nodded. "My Aunt Grace, those two are pretty close. We still visit, and she also comes to California sometimes."

We both got quiet.

"Dinner should be here soon." She had Jacob get out of the pool, and we had a nice dinner then sat down to a movie.

It was a sweet thing to see when he fell asleep with his head on his mother's lap. She got him up, and he walked aimlessly to his room while she guided him, which strangely I found adorable.

I stood, presuming it was time to leave, but waited to say goodbye. When she walked back in, she motioned me to sit back down.

"We haven't had much time alone, I think we should talk." She said

Oh god, she's going to tell me buzz off. I sat, wishing I could crawl into a shell and hide from the words she is about to say.

She sat on the couch then turned to face me. "I was hurt, but it's weird that no matter how hurt I was, I missed you." She said

"Really?"

"Of course, what we had was...well, it gave us a child, it was everything."

There's the word...was.

"I should be going, I'm sure you have an early call time tomorrow." I stood, and she did the same, I turned to walk away, but she grabbed my arm.

"Grayson?"

I turned around.

"You're not okay. I can feel it like...I can't explain it, but I know you're not okay."

She stepped closer. "Talk to me, let me in, because...you do still matter."

She didn't look at her feet or turn her head. She looked straight through me.

"You can't fix this, Mary Ellen." I turned to leave, but she caught my arm and pulled me back toward her, it's not like I gave a good fight.

I looked into her eyes. "What do you want, Mary Ellen?"