13

I wOnDeR wHaT wIlL hApPeN iN tHiS cHaPtEr BaSeD oN tHe SoNg I'vE cHoSeN

Spin the bottle! Third years, gather round!", Lily yells all of a sudden. It's half past eight at night and all the muggle-born and half-blood kids (including me of course) groan.
"What's spin the bottle?", ask every pureblood in unison.
"You don't wanna know", I advise.
"Basically", Lily instructs, "You have a bottle, and everyone sits in a circle with the bottle in the middle, and somebody spins it, but of course that's in the name. And then whoever the top side points to when it stops, the person who did the spinning has to kiss them"
"Isn't that kind of-"
"I'm in!", James says, sitting exactly opposite Lily in the circle people are starting to form.
"It doesn't work like that, Potter. Besides, you're allowed to just do it on the cheek if you're too embarrassed or really hate them, and of course that second one's for you"
James touches above his heart with his mouth open wide, pulling a mock offended face. Only Sirius, Peter and me can see the actual heartbreak in his eyes. He already knows how much she hates him anyway, so we can't exactly feel sorry for him as much as we used to.
"Yeah, whatever", Sirius says, joining the circle and dragging Peter, "Moony, you coming?"
"No"
"What? Come on, it'll be fun"
"Just because James'll have to give you two galleons if I ever kiss Mary", Mary goes bright red.
"Come on!"
"No!"
"Remus!"
"Fine!"
I shove a bookmark in Quidditch Through The Ages and place the book on the arm of the sofa. I can already tell this entire thing is going to end up in a thousand rumours, but we're thirteen year old idiots and anything can happen (although I would have been fine if we didn't have to. I also didn't want to be the only one out of the ten of us not man enough to go up and do it though).
"Me first!", says Lily.
James puts a mint in his mouth and Lily rolls her eyes. It goes round the circle about six times before slowing to a halt on Peter.
"Pete", James says sternly.
"What?"
"Don't"
"I wasn't going to"
Peter shyly leans in to kiss her on the cheek after a deep breath, but she turns his head and kisses him right on the lips. She says an apology to Peter before wiping her mouth. "That was to prove a point", she says to James, grinning.
"And that's your first kiss, yeah? No secret smooches for Snivellus?"
Lily rolls her eyes and doesn't reply, which James takes as a yes, but I know she's just winding him up and trying to make him jealous.
"So, hands up if you've never kissed before"
I count the hands up. Sirius, James, me, Mary, Marlene and Lucinda Talkalot. So only Lily, Peter, Alice and Frank actually have. And from the way Alice and Frank act around each other, I can sense something.
"This will be a laugh", says Marlene, taking the bottle from Lily and spinning it with quite a lot of force. It lands on herself. "How the hell am I meant to do that?"
"No, just spin it again"
And after a second spin it lands on JAMES.
"Oh shoot", he gasps, "No offense, but I'm saving it"
"Just come here, just on the cheek"
He reluctantly shuffles forward and she gives him a quick peck on the cheek before covering her face with her hands and giggling. I'm pretty sure everybody could immediately tell she might have a bit of a thing for him.
"Right, put your hands up again, non-kissers... Hmm... Sirius"
He snatches it out of her hand like he's been waiting his whole life for this moment and spins it. I can practically see the excitement in his eyes.
"I hope it's James", he says jokingly.
"You can't be paired more than once. If it lands on someone who has already been kissed then you just spin it again. And then we'll..."
"Moony, stop, you look like a deer in headlights"
The tip of the bottle is pointing right at me. I realise my mouth is wide open, and so are my eyes, so I fix that quickly as he gets up and walks across the circle to me. My heart just skipped a beat, I swear, but I don't know why.
"This is... awkward", Frank calls out. Neither of us are doing anything, we're just sat there looking each other in the eye as if we're having a staring contest.
"Can we just get on with it please?", James says, "I want my round two"
So then Sirius listens while I still sit there trying to figure out what's going on. I take a deep breath and remember it's just a kiss on the cheek, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day.
And then suddenly he's holding me by my face, and I don't know if I should be embarrassed or happy, and then he leans in and kisses me.
Like, right on the lips.
No, listen.
Sirius Black,
A Gryffindor popular bad-boy,
Just kissed me,
A silly old bookworm,
ON THE LIPS.
Like, what????