Chapter 3

[Thank you so much for reading After! Make sure you keep voting and commenting please!]

I woke up because of my alarm and grunted. It was too early and I honestly wanted to go back to my bed but I had no choice but to get up. It was my first day in college today and I really don't want to miss that out.

I was lucky enough that my room had a little toilet and shower. It was small but at least I did not share it with anyone so I wouldn't be late as well. I washed my face, brushed my teeth and had a shower. I felt fresh and dressed quickly. I straightened my long red hair and did my eyebrows and put a bit of mascara on and vaseline on my lips.

I looked myself and sighed. I hope this was alright look to go to college with. I took my handbag and walked down. I saw Vivien sitting on the dinner table and I smiled at her when she looked up to see who was coming into the living room.

"Good morning." I greeted her. She smiled and I sat next to her.

"Good morning. Are you ready?" She asked me and I chuckled softly while shaking my head.

"I think my British accent will make it obvious that I don't come from here. I am just a bit anxious about it." I said truthfully.

"Don't worry. I will be here with you and hopefully, we will have some lessons together." She said and I nodded.

"Matthew always drops us off to college so always be on time because when he wants to leave we will need to leave otherwise he leaves without us." Vivien said and I almost choked on the bread that I was chewing on.

"What?" I gasped and all the memories of yesterday came into my mind. I couldn't believe that he kind of attacked me yesterday.

"Don't worry. I will make sure he will behave." Vivien said with a reassuring smile. I did not really know how to feel about that because he did not even listen to his mother...

"Is this campus that far?" I asked and she nodded.

"The university is in New York and we live a half an hour away from it. At this time there is loads of traffic and getting a bus or a train will take more than two hours." Vivien explained and I sighed. So there was no way in avoiding Matthew.

"And we should leave now if you want to make it to your first lesson." Matthew's voice said and I looked up and saw Matthew standing in the door. I was even surprised that he was on time. I wouldn't expect that from him. I think I judged him too quickly.

Vivien and I both stood up and followed Matthew outside to the garage and sat in the car. Matthew looked at me but looked away when Vivien started speaking.

"So what are you studying?" She asked. Matthew was already driving and I felt uncomfortable as I could see him looking at me in the corner of his eyes. Vivien was sitting in the front seat next to Matthew and I was all alone in the back seats.

"I am studying science and biology for becoming a surgeon." I said and Vivien nodded. Before I could ask her the same question my phone started to ring. It was my mother.

"Hello, mum." I said.

"It's Luke. Lauren, I don't know what to do." I heard my mother saying on the other line. I could hear the horror in her voice and it made my heart drop and feel worried.

"Mum, what happened? What happened to Luke?" I asked in fear. I could see Vivien looking at me and Matthew acted as I wasn't even there.

"He is having a panic attack. He wanted to see you and I told him that you were far away. He couldn't breathe anymore. We are in the hospital." She said quickly and I could hear the back noises from the hospital.

"Mum, easy on. I will come back. I will take the first flight and see him." I said in panic. Now I saw Matthew looking at me.

"No, no. Just tell me how to calm him down." My mother asked for advice. My heart dropped. I couldn't come back. Even if I wanted to. It wasn't possible. I would be throwing away the best chance that Luke has on a good future.

"Tell him that I will be back soon. I will talk to him when he wakes up. Mum, please give him love. That's all he needs. Comfort him when he has a panic attack." I said and my voice sounded like I was begging my mother to take care of her own son.

"I will honey. I will. I will message you when he wakes up." She said and hanged up. Vivien looked at me.

"Are you okay? The guy Luke must be important." Vivien said and I saw a devilish smirk on her face. Matthew's eyes were focused on the road and he had no comment on anything that just happened.

"It is my three-year-old brother and yes Luke is really important to me." I sighed out. I missed him and knowing that he was already suffering killed me inside out. I wanted him around me and I wanted to be sure that he was alright. It was almost like I was his mother but then again, a big sister was almost just like a mother.

Vivien mouthed 'oh.' and did not really say anything else and I was thankful for it. I was worried and anxious about my brother and I had a feeling that I would be feeling like this for the rest of the day and it will ruin my day for me.

Finally, after an awkward long silence in the car, we arrived at the campus. The campus was quite big and the students were all around the place. In front of the campus, there was a huge green field were loads of students were sitting down and having a conversation with one another. It was beautiful, modern and big.

"Get out." Matthew's voice said and it made me snap out of my thoughts. I saw Vivien already waiting for me outside and Matthew looked at me annoyed. Without saying anything I stepped out of the car and Vivien looked at me and smiled.

"Welcome to the University of New York City. For the rest of this year, you will be practically almost living here." She said and smiled. I was proud to be here. I just wish my brother and mother could be here too with me.

This was going to be a long year without my loved ones...