The Carnival

Lyanna had never been to a carnival before and her friend had got two tickets to the sold-out show. Everyone had been talking about it, a show like no other; Carnaval des Diables... Carnival of Devils. They said it was the perfect show for Halloween, so how could she turn it down?

It was in the bad part of town, the area that most people stayed away from because it was old and falling apart but that made it even better for a show like this. The name said it all, it was a darker place, not the kind of show you took your children to. It was said that demons walked the grounds at Carnaval des Diables.

Of course, Lyanna knew it was all part of the show but as her friend Davis parked the car, her eyes gazing upon it for the first time, shivers went down her spine. Everything looked so old and broken down, the Ferris Wheel couldn't have been up to code... She should turn around now, something warned.

A very tall man was standing in the entrance, a wide smile on his face that just wasn't natural, his long fingers as thin as bones, "Tickets."

Davis handed the odd man both their tickets. After checking them out, that smile got even bigger, "Enjoy your stay."

Lyanna didn't want to admit it, but she was scared, they really were living up to the hype. At first, everything seemed pretty normal, just old or run-down but the further she wandered through the rows of games and treats, things turned more... Otherworldly.

There weren't a lot of people around, which was strange as the show had been sold out. There were no lines to any booth, and the few people she did see where all laughing a little madly. Something brushed along her arm, a short man with a large mustache, "Have you seen the show yet?"

She shook her head, too freaked out by his eyes to say anything. His eyes were all black, no white in them, no... The closer she looked, she saw that he had no eyes. Just hollow sockets where eyes had once been.

A scream tore from her throat as she pulled from his grasp. This place was creepy. Too creepy and she'd not even gotten that far, why had she come here? Where was Davis anyway?

She spun around, trying to find him, but there was no blonde head in sight, most everyone here was wearing a hood. "You alright miss?"

She turned to see a very normal looking man with a kind face, looking at her with concern, suddenly she felt silly, this was all part of the show, the man had not been missing eyes, there was no way. They had to be contacts.

"Yes." She nodded, giving a small laugh, "I'm just looking for my friend."

"Blonde?" He asked, pulling his trench coat around his small frame.

"Yes." She felt relief flow through her, "Have you seen him?"

"He was on the Carousel." He pointed through a small dark alleyway, "Cut right through there, past the funhouse."

"Thank you." She took off through the darkness, which wasn't the best idea in a place like this. The sound of laughter followed her, creepy laugher, the kind that came from clowns in horror films before they killed you. She wrapped her coat tightly around her, feet picking up speed. She could feel a hot breath on her neck, but no one was behind her, just that crazed laughter that seemed to be getting closer.

Lyanna tripped over a power cord just as she was coming out of the alley, her hands going down in the dirt to catch herself. The laughter was gone now, the lights from the funhouse chasing away the shadows that tried to linger. She felt so stupid, letting this get to her, she was a grown-ass adult and yet acting like a scared little child.

She stood up, knocking the dirt from her jeans, upset with herself. All would be fine when she found Davis, she said to herself. The older man had been right, she saw the Carousel just on the other side of the funhouse. It was going around and around, bright lights illuminating the path as if calling to her.