17. "The Masked Hinderences ."

Written by: raaasif

***

Please tell us your story

I walk back to the bar to get the next order. It's been a hard day already, and it feels a deadline to when the work will end. My back aches from leaning all over and walking all the same. The job of being a waitress is somehow really difficult for me and what's worse is that I have to deal with all kinds of men altogether. I can't blame the uniform I have, it's what's been given to me, and I have to wear it even if I don't feel comfortable in it. The short mini skirt was ending above my thighs with a perfectly sized dress shirt which shows my curves. Well, that's how I see it. Even with the evil eyes by which customers look at me in the inn, I gulp all my superstitions down and keep my anxiousness buried inside me.

Getting the order I make my way to a table of rough looking men. They laugh and gamble probably drunk from the wine or beer they already had. I notice one of them pointing in my way to his companions while they all try to straighten up looking at me upside down. My heartbeat quickens, and I feel something dreadful would happen.

"Don't worry keep it quick" is what I whisper to myself.

The man looking at me earlier blows a low whistle. My nerves tremble and showing my best I didn't notice it, put their beer down and turn around almost abruptly to make my way out. Just as I turn around, I feel someone get up from behind and grab my arm.

"Where do you think you're going?"

I find the same man grasping my arm roughly. His friends at the back laugh loudly. I yank my arm free, but he again grabs me roughly. Just as that I feel a million eyes looking at me in the room.

"Let go of my arm."

"You can't go unless I want you to, come on isn't there a private room somewhere? I could use it with a woman as sexy as you", he says with a cruel smile while letting his eyes wander up my skirts. I slap him as tears well up in my eyes. More hooting rises in the room and Larry the manager curiously comes running in. This time the gruesome person holds me firmly again while I struggle to let him go of me through failing wails.

"I'll give you a high raise beyond your imagination if she comes with me for the night, it's a good offer, you'd be stupid to put it down," he says to Larry.

Just as he said that my blood was rising. I felt disgusted. The smile spread across the manager's face was a pure distinction of the agreement. The stranger pulled me with him while I screamed and tried getting away from him. He made his way to the inn's room real fast throwing me on the floor, while closing the door behind. Tears did roll down my eyes before and now but the hungry beast made no compromise. I knew I have left with the snarling beast himself, helpless until I notice a vase in the very corner. I get up and jolt towards it right before he gets ahold of me again.

Before he can even react, I smack his head hard with the vase which breaks into pieces. He loses consciousness, and I dash towards the door, running out wildly, not even caring if my shoes fall off my feet. Tears fall down my eyes, and I try to breathe. I rush out from the inn into the cool night and sink on my knees to a dark corner of the street where no one can see me. My mascara spreads all across my face just as I remove it. My breathing turns shallow, and I bury my head in my lap. I was used to this. Every day and every night but I couldn't bear it this time. I do work for a stupid inn just to manage my life, but it doesn't mean I don't have rights as equal to anyone else. I wish the cruel world could understand this; I wish things were different and not as they are now.

***

What do you want others to learn from your story?

It's hard for working women, especially working in places where things aren't safe for them. They're strong, and it's usually what people don't bother about. They're either blamed as bad resultants of their family. Women rights should be followed, and sexual abuse should be discarded. This isn't what our moral values teach us. They show us to treat everyone equally and give respect to all human beings living in this world among us.