1.01

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:✧  a whole new world  ✧.: ⋆*・゚: .⋆ ☾

1940

"I hate you!" The wrathful scream of the thirteen-year-old girl echoed in the quiet part of New York.

"Yeah, yeah. Did I ask?" A bored and listless answer made the girl huff and close the door behind her with a clash.

She hid her shaking hands in the pocket of her coat and looked down, biting her lips in frustration. She didn't love her family, but she never enjoyed fighting with them, even though it happened very frequently.

"Sorry," a mumble left her mouth after she bumped into an old lady.

"These kids are beyond control, I am telling you, Peggy," her husband beefed, shaking his head at the sight of the hurrying young girl.

"Come on, Steve, didn't you see how troubled she looked? I am sure she is just upset," the lady hooked onto him and continued walking.

The girl sniffled but successfully fought off her tears. She tightened her grip around the straps of her backpack and decided to walk to Central Park to ease her unrestful mind after the heated argument. Her brunette braids hit her face as she quickened her pace. She was looking around constantly, not wanting to have an encounter with anyone from the army. They were everywhere, even on the streets, those days, due to the horrible war that broke loose.

As soon as she found a tree far from a man's sight, she settled down on the grass, fished out her favourite book, 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz' by L. Frank Baum. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes as some birds circled around the tree. She enjoyed the chirping with shut eyes then opened them. She connected her sight with the words of the book. No matter how many times she had read it, she could always start again with the same fresh excitement. It was the first book she purchased, she had collected her little amount of money she got for years to get it. The family was rather wealthy, but they decided not to give the girl money apart from the necessary amount.

"Ouch!" She exclaimed in fright when something cold hit the back of her neck and sent shivers through her whole body. As her fingers brushed the skin, she noticed that it was wet. "What the - " she started but couldn't finish.

Her eyes met with nothing but brightness. The usual green scene of the park disappeared and was replaced with a snowy forest. Her breathing and heartbeat got faster. She panicked. There was no sign of anyone.

"Okay, Ellie, calm down," she tried to comfort herself in a whisper. "Don't shout or scream, because that's always how people die in horror stories. What should I do, what should I do?" she continued whispering when a howl struck her ear. "Querido Dios," she muttered.