Urban Legend - 03

THE VANISHING HITCHHIKER

Also known as
"THE GHOST HITCHHIKER"
"THE PHANTOM HITCHHIKER"
"THE LADY IN WHITE"

A newlywed couple Nathan and Heather, were driving up the Northern California coast to spend their dream honeymoon in a quaint bed- and - breakfast with a seaside view.

They has hoped to arrive before dark , but a heavy fog had descended on Highway 1 and their progress was slow. They were at least an half - an - hour from their destination as the night fell.

If you have ever driven that stretch of highway you know how torturous it can be, with it's narrow lanes and switchback curves. It was just as they were rounding one of those curves as they passed a solitary hitchhiker, a young woman in a wispy white dress standing on the shoulder with a thumb outstretched.

" Good luck, getting a ride on a night like this. " muttered Nathan under his breath.

" Stop the car and turn around." said Heather. " Please, she's all alone. We have to give her a ride".

" We're two hours late. "

" Please."

Nathan pulled off the road and turned around. As they approached the girl from the opposite direction they could see her dress was in tatters. Her face was pale and gaunt.

" Can we give you a ride. " Heather asked as they pulled up beside her.

" Oh, thank you " said the young woman , who appeared to be in her teens or early twenties.

" I have to hurry home. My parents will be worried sick. "

" Where do you live? " Nathan asked.

" Just down the road , about ten miles" she said climbing into the back seat. " There's an intersection with an abandoned gas station. Across from there. It's a white house with rose garden. They are waiting for
me."

As they made their way towards north again Heather attempted to make a conversation, but the girl fell silent and slumped in the back seat apparently asleep.

After about 15 minutes Nathan spotted a dilapidated service station.

" Is this it? " he asked. " Hey, is this the intersection?"

Heather turned to wake the young woman and caught her breath. 
" Nathan, she 's gone. "

" What do you mean by ' she's gone'?" Nathan said , pulling into the driveway of the white house. "How can she be gone? "

She was right. The hitchhiker had vanished.

A light came on and two people, an elder couple, stepped out onto the porch.

" Can we help you? " The man asked. He looked as he dreaded the answer.

" I don't know, " Nathan began. " We were driving , and we picked up this hitchhiker, a girl.

" And she gave you this address." said man, " and asked you to bring her home."

" Yes" said Heather.

" And she was gone " Heather nodded." You aren't crazy, " the man said. " And you are not first. She was our daughter. Her name was Diane. She passed away seven years ago, killed by a hit -  and - run driver on the highway. They never caught whoever did it. I guess her spirit won't rest until they do."

Nathan and Heather were speechless.

" Won't you come inside for a coffee or tea?" asked the woman. " You've had a shock. Come and sit down. "

"Thank you, but no. We 're late,"
said Heather. " We have to get going. "

After exchanging uncomfortable goodbyes , the newlyweds departed, as they had arrived , in stunned silence.