Isis

Isis was awakened by the sun peeking through her decrepit blinds and a splitting headache. She knew that her headaches were from stress. She picked up the phone and called her mother. If not, she was sure that she was about to break down into tears.

"Baby, what's the matter?" Fatima asked after hearing her daughter's voice. Isis quickly explained to her mother that she had awakened with yet another headache.

"You're going to have to sit down and meditate. Release all that negative energy. In the end it will all work out," said Fatima.

"I know momma," said Isis with a sigh.

"Why don't you go and do something nice for yourself? You are always working. Go get your hair and nails done," her mother continued.

"Momma, I just got braids," Isis replied as she pulled a handful of them around to her nose and smelled them. She realized that they smelled like smoke. She then remembered her weekly sage-smudging session the night before. She had hoped it would release all the negativity. Apparently, it hadn't.

"Well, get you a glass of wine and relax. Don't worry about going to that church tomorrow either. That's where most of the bad spirits live at anyway," said Fatima. Isis laughed.

"I'm serious. You would be surprised at how many church going people have come to see Grandma Jezebel and me over the years for help," said Fatima.

"Help for what? Why can't they ask their God?" asked Isis.

"Chile please! That's what I'm trying to tell you. They ain't loyal to God. Not running to a Voodoo Priestess, they ain't. Some of them wanted help to conceive. Some wanted help to get a man. Others wanted help to keep a man. Hell, anything you can think of," said Fatima with a chuckle. Isis could tell her mother was reminiscing.

"I didn't know that!" Isis all but screamed through the phone.

"Now you do. So be careful around them. You don't know what slut may be in there that wants your man and will do anything to get rid of you. He's a great catch. And my beautiful daughter reeled him on in. But, I'm telling you that they hate it, honey," said Fatima. Isis rubbed her temples. Her head was now pounding. She knew her mother was right. She thought back to how all of them were acting towards her at church.

"Now, I don't want you worrying about that. I'm going to fix you up some herbs for your bath. You will need to bathe in the mixture tonight, meditate, and relax your mind. Forget all about the wedding planning and everything else for a couple of days."

"Okay momma. I'll stop by and get it.

"I have some appointments this afternoon. If you come when I'm busy, look for it on the kitchen counter."

"Okay. Thanks momma. I love you," said Isis.

"You know I don't mind. Anything for my baby. You just do what I said and watch your back. I know that you see it too. But, you aren't spiritually mature enough to recognize every little thing," said Fatima sincerely.

Isis took some more goody powders and laid down after she disconnected the phone call with her mother. Iris came into her room to check on her and Isis gave her a rundown of her conversation with their mother.

"If momma said it, you better believe her old paranoid ass," said Iris laughing.

"Stop it, sis. You're making my head hurt even worse," Isis said laughing.