Prologue

PROLOGUE: Dream/Nightmare

Kat (POV)

The sun was setting, the sky was a perfect shade of blue and purple. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. My body was light, I was flying. Feeling nothing but the wind in my face. I felt so at peace, so free. I haven't felt like this since...since ever. I enjoyed my time in the air, doing flips and turns.

Then, a chill ran through my spine. Ahead, a dark storm cloud formed and was headed my way. It was getting closer and closer. I panicked. No, why did I panic? I'm falling. Shit, I'm falling. I tried breast stroking myself up but it didn't work. I tried grabbing for something, anything before......

SPLAT

I opened my eyes, I was in a dark hallway, the only light was at the end ahead of where i was. I turned around, nothing else was there. Being the only option, i walked towards the light, but as i walked, the farther the light got. I started to jog, it got farther. I ran but I couldn't get to it. Why was it moving? Why can't I get to it? I ran faster and faster, worrying that the dark would get me.

As I started to pant for air, I came to a halt, a tall dark figure came through the light.

"Hello." He or she didn't respond. "Hello? Um, excuse me. Can you tell me where I am?"

No response. "HEY! I know you can hear me. Look, I've been running for a while now, but i can't get to where you are. So, please can you just...."

The figure started walking towards me. It was a man, no a boy. He had dark black cropped hair and penetrating green eyes. He was tall, lean and very handsome. He was probably around my age. He stopped in front of me.

"Um, can you please tell me where I am and how i can get out of here?"

With no answer, he smiled which showed me his perfect pearl white teeth.

Waiting for a response, I said, "Can you understand me?"

He opened his mouth. Judging by his appearance I expected a deep soothing voice, but all I heard was a high pitched ringing. My ears were aching, I fell and was squirming on the ground. After several seconds of agonizing pain, the ringing suddenly stopped.

Daring to take a look, the boy now had huge, white wings. They were ten times bigger than he was. Too amazed by his new appearance, I didn't realize he was talking.

"Kat." How'd he know my name? "Kat. Kat. Kat."

Before I could answer.....I woke up.

Checking my alarm clock, it was quarter to five.

"Holy shit. That's it, no more weed and alcohol before bed."