Formalities...V

One difficult month later...

I'm pretty sure I've stressed how much I hate being woken up, yet everyone insists on doing it. I opened my eyes, blinking in the darkness. "What's going on?" I asked, half asleep. "It's me." I recognized that awful, heinous voice. I sat up quickly. "How did you find me?" I asked. "I asked around." she replied. "Look, it's never a good time for you, but now is an especially bad time." She sat at the foot of my bed. "I know how you feel about me, but trust me, I came to help you get your friend back." I narrowed my eyes. "How did you...?" "Don't bother with formalities, Arioch." she replied. "I don't trust you. Haven't for thousands upon thousands of years now. That is never gonna change. Now, get out." There was silence. "I started liking you because you're stubborn...and also, because you're handsome." "So?"I replied. "You're still stubborn. Some things never change. Regardless, I came to help. Hear me out. It's for your friend. Don't you care about her?" "You were always great at asking stupid questions. Of course I care." "Then you'll listen." I sighed, and rubbed my temples. "Fine." I said. "I used to be a Persephone. I can travel to her and break her out. She's not in a good place." I was awestruck. "You...used to be a Persephone? I guess Hades occasionally has bad taste, too." She slapped me. "Pay attention." I held my stinging face and tried not to slap her back. "Look, once he's done with you...if he is, he gives you a grade. Get below a C and you're his slave forever...I scored a B. That means I'm on good terms with Hades. I saw what happened to her...I wanna help her." "How much is this gonna cost me?" I asked. "Nothing. I ran around on you a long time ago. I think it's time I make it up to you." I was quiet. On one hand, I hate her, but on the other hand, I love (y/n). "Break her out, as if Hades won't stop us." "If she can get out of the void without him catching her, he has to let her go. I know that place like the back of my hand. I used to wander around there all the time without reason...there's lots of exits and hiding places. There's a good chance she'll be okay." I thought about it. "Move to strike then." I said. "You really want to go with me?" she asked, sounding surprised. "No, I really want my friend back...and she's not in a good place. That guy might be slick. He might be smooth...but he always winds up without a Persephone for one reason or another. Not good." I got dressed hastily. "Lead the way, and after this...please, don't speak to me again." She looked at me and sighed. "Fine." she replied. "Thank you, Nimue. For what it's worth, I hate you a bit less now."