39 - Kate/ Alex

Kate

Obviously, Tom stayed with Alex because he and Avery could sleep together. Tom knew that Mom wouldn't like that even though their mother was no fool. She'd been trying to see Alex's house for a few weeks, but he was always busy. He was either overworked, or he was lying and she was determined to find out which.

Kate arrived with an agenda beyond seeing Alex's million dollar home. She wanted to find out more about Tom and Avery's relationship and she wanted to figure out what was going on with Alex. She still thought the whole business with the designer was strange.

Alex's house impressed her, especially the widow's walk. It was an overcast day, and the view was still great.

"I guess the buyers saw it as a clean slate. What were you thinking with boring off-white walls?"

"It doesn't matter by the time Jen is done the inside will be unrecognizable," Avery said proudly.

"Jen, your friend is the designer for this house!"

Alex said, "The new owners hired her. They're friends of the owner of the house you saw on the beach. When I met them they said they were looking. That was why I listed this house."

"But what about Jen, she's from New York?" She noticed Alex looking at Avery as if communicating with her.

Avery said, "They wanted the same designer that did Sydney's house. Jen agreed to take on the project. She has some gorgeous plans."

"She's seen Alex's house?" Kate asked, surprised.

"I let her measure and take pictures so she could start as soon as we close. It was not a big deal, sellers allow things like that all the time."

"So she flew up from New York just to take some pictures of your house?"

Alex was making her uneasy as she watched him walk around with her baby. It was strange that her brother loved babies.

"Kate that's what designers do. Even though this isn't a big job, not compared to The Point house, she had to get her pictures and measurements."

"Why didn't she come this weekend and get the measurements since Avery was coming?"

"She's visiting her parents this weekend," Avery said.

"Oh, where are they?"

Avery looked at Alex again and before Kate could ask what was going on, Tommy spoke up. "For goodness' sake, Kate, why the interrogation. Her parents live in Maine. She's in Maine visiting her parents."

"She's from Maine?"

Avery said, "Yes, but she's lived in New York since college. She's been back and forth more with Sydney's house than she ever was in the ten years since she started working. Her parents are thrilled with that."

"One last question, where in Maine?"

Alex said, "I got this one. She's from The Point. You claim to be so observant, but somehow you missed the fact that Megan and Jen are close friends."

"Wow! So you're working with her and then Tom meets her good friend, and she's from the one place Alex loves... small world."

"Except I knew who she was, and that she was working with Alex when I saw her and Avery that night. I knew she was married, but her gorgeous friend turned out not to be."

"What's with her husband and her divorce?" Kate was growing more curious.

Avery said, "I am not about to talk behind my best friend's back. Sorry, Kate."