Chapter Twenty Six - The Morning After The Night Before

The great thing about being with a girl that doesn't drink, is that you don't need to worry about if she's only doing things because she's drunk. When I woke up the next morning, I knew that we were back on.

The same went for her friends. I expected them to be going crazy that she'd accepted my apology after they'd stood up for her earlier, but I guess they knew that she wouldn't do anything she didn't want to when she was stone cold sober.

Speaking of friends, I didn't see any of mine for the rest of the night. It was only in the morning that I caught up with them.

"Where did you guys get to last night?" I asked, in a chipper tone as I sipped my coffee.

"That's a funny story actually," Groaned Dean as he arose from the couch he'd clearly slept on.

"He's right," Agreed Eddie. "We took this girl back here and had a three-way right here on the floor!"

"Really!?" I gasped; leaping onto the nearest chair like the floor was lava. The coffee spilt like an erupting volcano too.

"No you idiot, do you really think he'd go for that?" Eddie laughed and I instantly felt like a fool.

"I don't share," Dean shrugged as I slowly climbed down from my perch. "Nah we just crashed out, we decided to leave the two lovebirds in peace."

"Yeah I'm actually amazed that Melissa didn't come back here to get pounded all night," Eddie once again spoke before he thought. "She's not here right?" He finally asked as the potential awkwardness of the situation dawned on him.

"No she's not," I laughed, putting him out of his misery even though I really didn't want to. "I'm pretty sure we're back on but we didn't want to rush things."

"And by we, you mean she, right?" Dean asked.

"Of course."

"And what do you mean by pretty sure? Shouldn't you find out?" This time it was Eddie asking the questions.

"That's exactly where I'm going now," I announced, leaving my now empty mug on the coffee table for later. "Smell you later boys!"

Due to the thin walls of our apartment block, I was able to hear Eddie having to explain to Dean that I hadn't meant literally, on my way out.

*

Despite my bravado with the guys, I was still a little nervous to meet Melissa today. She'd invited me over to her apartment first thing, which was a good sign. But a pretty big part of me couldn't help but think that something was wrong.

I mean let's be honest; I'd fucked this up quite a few times.

When I arrived there though, I instantly knew that there was nothing for me to fear. The smile that greeted me at the door was the very same one I'd thought of every day. The one I'd seen when I first met her. The one I'd seen when we were at my parents' party and the one that I'd seen last night at the club.

She made us coffee and we spoke at length about what we'd been up to (I may have under-exaggerated my wallowing. No one likes a cry baby) and then we agreed to be in an official relationship.

As much as I'd feared it, it was nothing. It was just words. Albeit, words that gave a label to what I already knew we were, but it changed nothing about the way I felt about her, and her me. It didn't bother me at all that we didn't even have sex that day either. The old me would have been furious but I was perfectly content just sitting on the couch with her legs draped over mine, watching some daytime movie with terrible acting.

I realised then that this was the truly best thing in life. Not money, not fame, not sex and not even booze. The best thing in life is simply spending time with someone you love.

As perfect as this day was though, there was still one thing we needed to do to make our lives just as perfect. . .

*

"I need a title!"

This was Dean's answer when Melissa asked him how he was doing.

We'd been together now for two weeks and this was the first time she'd came over to my place to hang with the guys since.

"Shouldn't that have come first?" Eddie asked, but didn't receive an answer.

"Maybe if you actually told us what the book was about, then maybe we could help!" I laughed.

"I told you, it's a surprise!"

"Can you tell me?" Melissa attempted.

"No! And my deadline is next week!"

Melissa raised her hands in surrender rather than any more spoken words, so Dean just continued to rant.

"I thought that when I was basing it all on you guys and going out and getting hammered that it would be easy to get a title. Instead, all the ones I can think of are kinds of alcohol and honestly that just makes me want to vomit.

"Were you two out last night by any chance?" She asked.

"Unfortunately yes. And we bumped into Christy," Eddie sighed.

"Jesus," I cringed, knowing now why Dean was so uptight.

"I don't wanna talk about it," Dean groaned as he collapsed onto a chair.

"Did you sleep with her again?" I asked, ignoring him.

"Quite the opposite actually," Eddie smiled mischievously.

"Wait, what?"

"Yeah! She totally came onto him and he told her to piss off and then started frenching this other chick right in front of her! It was the biggest piece of bad-assery I've ever seen!"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing! This was incredible.

"Dean you absolute legend!" I cried before diving on him and hugging him.

"Get off me! Still want to vomit!" He cried, though I could detect some pride in his voice.

"I hope you were still saving stuff to your phone on nights out," I said, finally granting his wish and getting off of him. "Sounds like you would've had some epic notes from last night!"

I was expecting a laugh as a reaction. That's usually what happens when I try to be funny. But instead, Dean stared at me as if I'd just broken into song with the voice of an angel.

"What?" I asked, suddenly feeling self conscious. "What?" I asked Melissa this time in case she had spotted anything but she simply shrugged. When I turned back round, Dean was standing up again and had his hands in the air before wrapping them around me.

"You're a motherfucking genius!" He yelled. "A genius I tell you! I love you you sexy motherfucker!" He finally let go of me and ran like Usain Bolt towards his bedroom where he remained for the rest of the day.

"Is he ok?" Melissa asked. "Should somebody go and check on him?"

"Believe it or not . . . I've not seen him act this much like himself in a very long time," I smiled.

To those who didn't know our weird little group, this probably sounded a little messed up. But where our three lives were right now, was exactly where we all wanted them to be.