Chapter 10

I had never been so cold until I felt his icy eyes rake over me. That moment of loathing was almost unbearable. It was too cold, too searing to feel unprotected. My blood stopped pumping under his glare, rendering me immovable.

All alone in his storm.

Blake scowled and turned back, heading for the door. From the back, I could see his hair was ruffled and his shoulders were slumped in a defeated way, almost as if he felt the same pain that he caused me. Except while I was stuck with the bullets in my side, he was constantly suffering from the kickback of the gun.

With his hand on the knob of the door, I broke through the ice encompassing me.

"Blake, wait," I called, my voice raw and stressed.

He stopped. Barely. Reluctantly.

"What do you want?" he sighed.

I paused for a moment, truly considering his question and unsure if was ready to even admit to myself the answer.

"My medicine," I replied stupidly. "Jake kept my medicine."

Blake flinched. "Jake isn't here. He's out to dinner with some of the other executives." He glanced at her again. "Which is where I wish I was too," he muttered.

I deflated. "Could you just get it for me? I'm sure it's in his suitcase or something."

"Or something. Jake's the messiest hurricane of the east coast," he scoffed. "Yeah I'll find it. Just wait out here."

I did. I watched as he disappeared, and I then worried if he would ever come back out.

I let out a soft hiss, and I leaned against the wall.

My medicine? Really? Was I that delirious over him that I couldn't find the truth hidden on my tongue? It was so simple when he asked what I wanted. There was my chance to act on every regret I had ever had, and to spill to him my desire to make things right. But I couldn't. I thought of the first thing that came to me—an excuse.

It seems I was full of them these days.

I stared at the door. It mocked me, dangling the fact that it had what I wanted inside, and it could very easily keep it in there. Or keep me out.

It was almost a sense of deja vu, because on those sleepless nights in San Diego, I had always imagined meeting Blake in a hotel.

It would be somewhere near the beach. Right on the ocean, actually. I'd be there as a rest stop on my travels, and he would be there because some unknown force had brought business there. We'd be oblivious to the presence of the other.

Then, that night, a full moon would draw us from our rooms. We would run into each other, be stunned by the other, and decide to take a walk by the ocean. 

The universe would cement our love.

But that wasn't what was happened. I could only hold my breath when the door knob jiggled, and Blake finally re-emerged. With my medicine.

"Here," he grunted. "Jake had it stashed under his underwear. I don't know what kind of stuff that it is, but just do it after the conference. Zane would be furious to hear about your unprofessional pleasure you find in the bottle."