s i x

From the moment that they reached the entryway of the flat, Catalina was already feeling antsy

      From the moment that they reached the entryway of the flat, Catalina was already feeling antsy. She clutched the purse in one hand and cradled the flowers the way one would hold a child with the other. She tried to settle her mini anxiety attack by taking deep and steady breaths. After Jae had told her that his mother was making her best dishes, Catalina knew she'd come under prepared.

     "I should've brought Empanadas or something, you should've told me earlier," she hissed over as he began to open the door.

     "Cat, you're okay. It's gonna be okay," he hushed before he pushed open his flat's door.

     She gulped and shut her eyes as he offered his arm and she took it. They stepped into the apartment, the smell of delicious food taking them by surprise—a very pleasant surprise. In fact, the smell eased Catalina's mind greatly.

     Catalina sighed in content and gave Sung-Jae's arm a squeeze. "I'm already hungry," she mumbled.

     "Eomma!" Jae called out as they walked to the kitchen.

     "You're here already? You must have flown, no?" Mrs. Kim popped her head out from the kitchen, signalling them over while she kept her eye on the stove.

     Catalina slithered her arm from Jae's and walked towards his mother, offering her the bouquet of flowers. "Mrs. Kim, thank you for inviting me, it's very kind of you."

     "You're my son's girlfriend; of course I'd invite you," she said as she took the flowers from Catalina's hands. There was a smile on her face, bright but a bit intimidating. "And there's no need to be so formal, call me Cecilia."

     Catalina shot her head towards Jae, giving him a puzzling look. Clearly her name was not Cecilia.

     "It's my English name," Mrs. Kim clarified, "I thought it'd be easier for you to pronounce."

     "Oh, I—um, thanks? Er." Catalina furrowed her brows. "I mean, uhm, I—Thank you for inviting me, Cecilia." It felt strange to call her so informally but if it was what she wanted...

     Mrs. Kim gave her a nod and another smile before she turned to her son, "Jae, dear, how about you show Catalina around, I'm sure she's dying to get to know the place and see how her boyfriend lives. I'll call you down when dinner is ready."

     "Of course, eomma," he bowed his head slightly and Catalina followed the action before he led her away from the kitchen.

     The living room was mostly empty, Catalina could see Jae was living the 'minimalist' lifestyle. There was a simple smoke-grey shaggy carpet underneath two white couches that faced a flat screen television which hung from a wall.

     "So, you live here alone when your parents are in Korea?" Catalina asked while they walked towards the staircase. By now she had already noticed that the flat he lived in was a two story flat, with one side overlooking the small city.