Chapter 4: Hoarder of the Dark

I stepped-off and tries to slash him again. However, he still manages to parry me without even putting too much effort.

My teeth were gnashing. Angrily looking at him, as if I was like a wild animal defending myself from a hunter. He on the other hand, was just looking down at me with a lazy face. It's like he is effortless in fighting me. Then, all of a sudden, he parried my sword hard in an instant.

He was so quick that I almost didn't see him coming! As he parried, he punches me right in the stomach, and there, I spat blood. After that, he smacked me to the ground. I fell on my knees and tried to crawl back away from him, after.

My heart is beating so fast. I feel like he'll end my life the second he raise his sword once more.

Breathing heavily, I speak for myself, 'I guess this is the end of m-'

"Maybe next time, try not to attack the one who saved you." He says it with a rough voice.

My eyes opened widely in an instant. I was just... Looking at him, as if I'm speechless. He then offered his hand to help me get up.

I... I was wrong. Maybe he is a good guy, after all.

After that, he walked me all the way to his apartment to treat me and even put a bandage on my severed arm. This guy... I've been meaning to ask his name, "Who are you?"

He just looked at me, but then looked away.

"What's the deal with just saying the name? Is it a secret?"

He looked back again. But he breathe heavily to shout at me, "Why do you do vigilantism!? Huh!? What were you thinking!? Are you a hero? Are you someone who will make changes in this world!?"

"If the public learned about your sword, who do you think will take responsibility? Huh!?" He added.

He was so mad at me. He then grabbed and held my uniform, as if he is crumpling the upper part of my uniform, then pulled me near him, "If you ever do this vigilantism again, I will not save you nor anyone would come to save you." He was looking at me with a scary, glaring face as he said that.

I on the other hand, immediately got furious, "I don't need saving! Who even asked you to save me? Huh!?"

He slapped me angrily, then one-handedly grabbed my neck part of the uniform again, pulling me towards to him.

"Wake up, kid! You are not in a fantasy, you are in real life!"

He was getting so mad at me, even pushing me to ground with full force. I got hurt by his push, because I am still severely injured. Soon after that, he calmed, following it up with his words of wisdom, "You cannot save everyone in this world, not a hero, nor a God. Everyone dies, because we are only mortals."

Again, I'm speechless, but gave me idea to wake up in this idiocy I've been doing.

I looked down, "I'm sorry. I guess I'm just being immature and that I still think as a kid..." I mutter, but a little loud.

I feel shy as I apologized to him. It was like different. I felt different when I apologized to him and I think that maturity just hit me. However, that's all probably just in my head.

He sighed deeply, then offered his hand for a shake.

When I look at his face, he was smiling. I was surprised.

He then said, "You cannot save everyone, but don't try to not save anyone. It is still better to help someone rather than not helping anyone at all."

I scratched my head, then nodded and shakes his hand. He is not bad at all.

He then later introduced himself, "My name is Ryu Akimoto. You can just call me Ryu."