He's gone

Eun's diary

For some reason, I can't seem to explode at grandpa last night, it's like I don't even care anymore. I used to yell at him, to argue with him, but last night, when I saw him last night, I can't even do that. I'm tired. I'm tired of him. I'm tired of his ways of treating me, treating mother, treating my wife. He didn't say much, I guess he felt the same way. Both of us just remained silent the whole time. He's grown thinner. I shouldn't feel sorry for him, but I did.

I guess today's just one of those days where you don't feel like doing anything. Even writing this is draining my energy.

Soondeok's diary

Did something happen last night? I wonder what the prince said to his grandpa, or rather, I wonder what grandpa had said to the prince that's made him so...indifferent. We didn't talk much during breakfast, he didn't whine about wanting to sleep with me either, he just stayed in bed all day, staring blankly at the ceiling. Today's going to be a slow day...

---------------------------------------------------

(After lunch, Eun goes back to bed – staring into space. Soondeok walks up to him.)

'Oppa, did something happen last night?'

(Eun turns the other way)

'What?'

'What happened when you went to see your grandpa?'

'Nothing.'

'That's weird.'

'I said it's nothing.'

'Oppa...'

'To me, my grandpa has died ages ago. I have no grandpa. Period.'

'Is it because of me?'

'Honey.'

'Because he wanted to make sure I'll leave you, after the divorce, is that why he moved in?'

'I...I don't know, Deok ah, I don't want to know.'

'Oh Oppa...you seem so down today...is there something you'd like to do to help you cheer up?'

'Nothing...just let me sulk for today. I'll be fine soon...'

(Soondeok wants to give Eun a pat on the shoulder but he flings her hand away)

'I SAID I'M FINE!'

(Soondeok slowly withdraws her hand, keeping her head low)

'S...sorry, your highness.'

(Eun lets out a deep sigh then sits up)

'I didn't mean to shout at you, honey...I...'

'Oppa. I understand. I just thought I could make you feel better...if you need someone to talk to, you can call for me, I'll be just there, reading.'

'Thanks.'

(Soondeok gives Eun a quick kiss on the cheek before leaving him)

---------------------------------------------

(Night came, at long last – it's been a very slow day, the air seems heavy, the food seems tasteless. It's truly one of those black-and-white days, no colors. Eun stayed in bed all day, doing absolutely nothing – Soondeok read all day, doing absolutely nothing else. It's getting late, the night is quiet, a heavy kind of silence.)

'Deok ah, you should stop reading.'

(Silence)

'Deok ah.'