The test

Linda's POV

When the pregnancy test comes out positive, it freaks me out a little bit, I don't know if I'm ready for all of this, being a mother, raising a child. Does Steve want this? I really do like him a lot, and I don't know if this whole situation will drive him away, I mean, we haven't been together for very long. I thought that I would've liked to be with a man for a little while longer before having a baby with him. But, this is where we are right now, and we can't turn back time, and we just have to figure out what we're going to do and what we want to do, we have to figure out what we think is the best choice in this situation.
Steve echoes my thoughts, and I nod, agreeing with him. He tells me that he's always wanted kids, and asks me, concerned, how am I feeling. I furrow my brow, thinking about his question for a moment, then I look at him and say, "I'm okay. You know, I thought I'd be more overwhelmed, but I'm surprisingly relaxed. I've always wanted to have kids, but I just wasn't expecting it to happen so soon." I laugh lightly, rubbing my arm nervously and fixing my gaze on the floor before asking Steve, "How do you feel about this? I understand if you want to leave, I won't be mad."
Steve frowns, then places his hand on my bicep, his thumb lightly tracing circles on my arm. I look up to meet his serious gaze. "I'm not going to leave you." His face softens, and a small smile spreads across his face, "I'm here for you, Linda, and whatever you decide to do."
I smile, tears welling up in my eyes, "I want to keep it." I tell him.
We take a walk in the park nearby my place, and he stops and asks me to marry him. "Don't make me remember this chili dog for the rest of my life." I tell him.
"Remember it, savor that chili dog." He says.
I laugh, and keep walking, Steve stays beside me, not saying anything for a while, giving me time to think. After I finish my chili dog, I turn to him, "Okay, why now, why should we get married?"
He smiles, "Why not?" He asks, "We both love each other, and care deeply for each other. We both want to care for this baby and give it the best life that we can, and I was thinking that we'd get married eventually, but I don't see why we should postpone it."
I nod, he makes some valid points. "Okay." I smile, "I don't see why not, let's do it!"
He hugs me, and spins me around in a little circle and kisses me before setting me back down. "When should we do it?" He asks.
"How about Friday? That gives us 5 days to get everything together. We can go get the paperwork done tomorrow and call friends and family to invite them. We can have it in my backyard, it'll be small, intimate, nothing too fancy, just close friends and family."
"That sounds perfect." He smiles again, and I throw my arms around his neck and pull him into another kiss.