nightmares

a/n: welcome to the first one-shot of this book! please feel free to leave requests and I will do my best to write them. check a/n at the end, and I hope you enjoy!

El's POV

I was walking down the white and eerie halls. I could feel the chills running up my spine. Just being in this place again gave me a wrenching feeling in my gut.

I can't believe I used to call this my home. What it really was, was a prison. Encasing you in sterile, blank walls. Nothing to hear but your own breathing, your internal screams, and your deprecating thoughts.

I continued walking in silence, nothing to hear but the sound of my bare feet on the cold tile floor. The silence was broken when I turned to see big, swinging, double doors slamming open.

My gaze travels from the floor to the man I used to call my 'papa.' There he stood, tall and intimidating. He was the same frightening man I had always known. It was as if his eyes were starring into my soul, but I would not let him scare me.

The next thing I heard was his unnerving voice. "Hello, Eleven." His voice cut through the air like a knife. I continued to stare at him. "I see you've come back home." he tells me. "This, is not home." I snap back. "If you say so. I made you who you are today, Eleven. You would be nothing without me, and if you want to be difficult. I guess we will just have to do this the hard way." he says coldly.

Everything started happening so fast after that. I was captured by two rugged men, each holding one of my arms. They dragged me down the hallway, to a room I had never wanted to visit, ever again.

I was suddenly released from the soldiers' grasp, and came falling to my knees. I slowly looked up to see Brenner and a group of scientists. "Okay, Eleven. Are you ready?" he asks with an evil smirk on his face. I simply stare at him in confusion, not understanding what I'm here for.

"You have come here today for a reason, Eleven. We want you to open the gate." he tells me. "I would never, ever open that thing." I snap back. "Oh, but you will. Or else, you will face the consequences."

I looked up to this horrible man, a look of confusion in my eyes. What consequences? "Now, Eleven. I'm going to tell you again. Open the gate." he restates. I answered with one word. "No." A malicious smile arose on his face. "Fine. Have it your way." I let out a sigh of relief, until I hear what he says next.

"Bring out the boy." I hear him order to two of the men. Please don't be who I think it is. After a few moments two men come out with a tall and lanky boy in their arms. Struggling to get free. He has a bag over his head, and when they remove it I come face to face with the one person I didn't want to see under that hood—Mike.

I look up to Brenner with a glare, anger filling my eyes. "Let him go." I angrily mumble. "What was that, Eleven?" he asks, taunting me. "I said, let him go." I say louder and more sternly. All he does in reply is rip the tape off of Mike's mouth and let out a chuckle.

As soon as the tape is torn off of Mike's face, he's yelling my name. "E-El! El! Help!" he says, his voice breaking. I look into his glassy eyes and immediately feel tears come to mine.

"Mike!" I yell out to him as I try to break free of the strong hold on my arms. I am pulled back. Both of us continue to fight until we've become too tired. "Okay, Eleven. I'm going to tell you one more time. Open the gate, or else." he threatens. I look to Mike, seeing him shake his head at me. I know he doesn't want me to open the gate, but I can't let them hurt him.

"No." I mumble looking down. As I was closing my eyes I didn't notice the heavy piece of metal that was being raised to the side of Mike's head. "What was that?" he asks me. I continue to look down as I reply, "I said, no!" I say louder. "As you wish." he replies coldly. Those were the last words I heard before a gunshot went off. I quickly look up to see Mike—my best friend, boyfriend, love of my life—lying dead on the floor with a puddle of blood, pooling at his head.

I am finally released from the grasp of the soldiers. I instantly run over to Mike. I fall to my knees, placing his head in my lap. "Mike?! Mike! Please don't go! I need you!" I yell with tears pouring down my face. "Mike! Please! I'm sorry! Please! Mike!" I continue to yell. I am now sobbing, crying harder than I've ever cried. What have I done?

Mike's POV

I wake up to El thrashing in her sleep. I know she's having a nightmare. She starts to whimper and it breaks my heart. I can hear her saying something, but I can't quite make out what it is. She begins to talk louder. I now know she's saying my name. "Mike! Please! Mike!" I shake her lightly trying to wake her up. "El, please wake up. El, baby." I say softly as I start to shake her a little bit more.

She suddenly shoots up and immediately wraps me in a tight embrace. She has her arms around my neck, as I lightly wind my arms around her waist. Pulling her closer to me, she sobs in my shoulder.

I can feel my shirt dampening with her tears, but I don't care. "El, what happened?" I ask, already knowing she was having a nightmare. "N-Nightmare." she tells me shakily, confirming what I thought. I continue to rub one of my hands lightly up and down her back, while my other combs through her soft, chestnut curls. In hopes of bringing her comfort.

"Can you tell me what happened?" I ask sweetly trying to help calm her. "I w-was in the l-lab. Papa wanted me t-to open the g-gate. When I d-didn't open it, h-he hurt you. He k-killed you. You were g-gone." she tells me. She begins to sob again. I feel tears come to my eyes. "Shhhh, El. I'm here. I'm right here." I whisper in her ear as I continue to hug her. We now cry together. "I h-hurt you." she says with a whimper. "Hey, El. You didn't hurt me. I'm right here. It was just a dream." I reassure her.

She eventually calms down a bit and we slightly pull away. She won't look at me and keeps her focus elsewhere. I use my finger to lift her chin towards me. "Hey, I'm okay." I tell her, looking into her gorgeous brown eyes. She nods her head and let's out a sniffle, still starring into my eyes.

I reach out my hand to tuck a stray curl behind her ear. I see a slight blush appear on her face as I place a gentle kiss on her forehead. Then traveling down to place one on her cute, button nose. "Let's lay down and go back to sleep." I say as I slowly lower us down to the bed. She places her head on my chest and curls into my side. I wrap my arms around her waist, pulling her closer to me, if that's even possible. She nuzzles her head into my chest and I place one final kiss to her temple. We lay there in silence, enjoying each other's warmth, and we eventually fall back into a deep sleep.

word count: about 1450
a/n: hey guys hope you enjoyed! sorry if it was too short or too long. (let me know in the comments) anyways remember to leave requests! I will be back with a new one-shot either some time this week or next week. I will be updating this book once or twice a week, depending on if I'm busy or having a lot or not enough inspiration.