Two Heavy

Lola removed the bread rolls from the oven, the kitchen fragrant with the usual smell of her pastry. The TV provided some background noise to her cooking. Just then, a knock. Grace, her sister-in-law had arrived.

"Mmmm, smells amazing!" Grace dropped her bags and went straight for the bread rolls.

"Thanks, almost had a scare today. Thought I had run out of butter."

"Can I have some?" Grace's hands were already poised to pick one up. "By the way, I must say, you're looking slimmer. Have you been exercising?"

"No. You're not the only one who has mentioned that." Lola sat down. "I do feel lighter though."

"Hmmm," said Grace as she chewed. "When was your last check with the doctor?"

"A month ago. I missed my last scheduled visit which was supposed to be a fortnight ago. That was when I travelled. Have an appointment at the clinic tomorrow though. Can you accompany me?"

"Sure. It is... almost your eight month? I'm not very sure what to think of your losing weight."

That night as Lola slept, she felt uneasy. Her room felt like her oven. Her sweat soaked sheets made it impossible for her to sleep properly. She woke up in her distress and decided to part the curtains. As she walked towards her window, she staggered. The kicks in her tummy were intense. These were different. They had never been this violent before. She struggled to the window. She parted the curtains. The kicking stopped.

In the morning, they went to the clinic. After seeing the doctor and explaining everything that happened that night, the doctor decided to run an ultrasound scan. Lola lay on the couch. The dimly lit room seemed calming. As the doctor rubbed the gel on her tummy, Lola ran her gaze from one ceiling corner to the other.

The images were generated on the screen. The doctor looked at the screen curiously. There on the screen, the foetus grasped the umbilical cord connected to his twin. There his twin lay, lifeless.

Lola called Phil and broke the news to him while Grace tried to calm her down.

"It is unusual for a baby's grasp to cause this," the doctor said. She looked unsettled. After careful consideration, she thought it best to leave things as they were with the lifeless baby in her womb.

After this, Grace kept a close eye on Lola. She tried to make sure Lola wasn't stressed by her loss. She stayed at Lola and Phil's house a few nights. Phil, her brother, was away on an official assignment.

10 days later, Lola awoke to find that she was bleeding. She feared the worst had happened.

Grace helped Lola to the car. On the way, they called Phil. He encouraged his wife to stay positive.

"It'll be alright sis, just a few minutes." Grace did her best to calm Lola.

"I can still feel the baby moving." Lola stated as Grace drove. "I can also hear some little crunching sounds."

When they got to the clinic, Lola was taken in for another scan. The doctor looked at the screen in shock. It looked like the baby had something in his mouth. Only a jawbone was left of his twin!