Liam; Rejection

don't forget to vote and leave a comment if you want

***

It's not that I don't like Liam; he is sweet. Even though I had only spoken to him a few times during classes, I can tell that he is a great guy.

But when he asked me out yesterday, I was caught off guard. I didn't expect it. I never thought that any boy, especially Liam Dunbar, could ever look at me in that way- more than a classmate or even more than a friend.

I sit at my desk and stare at the wall in front of me, twirling a pencil in my right hand. Today I'm lacking the inspiration to sketch, or maybe I'm just distracted. Every time I think about Liam, I'm taken aback again. Did he really see me in that way- or is there a possibility that he could in the future?

I let out a deep sigh; I feel terrible. My low self-esteem had once again gotten in the way of me making a new friend, or even something more.

Liam was so nervous when he first approached me. A shy smile painted itself on his pink lips and he couldn't stop fiddling his hands. At first I was confused; boys rarely speak to me. This was a first.

Then he asked me out to dinner. My heart began pounding against my chest, like somebody banging on a door begging to be let in.
Like I said, I was caught off guard. So I said no.
He looked hurt, shocked even; I knew he wasn't expecting it. I told him I was sorry, and then I left as quickly as I could.

Now I can't stop thinking about him- about how different things could've been if I had said yes. I snap myself out of my thoughts to check the time.

18:45.

It is almost time for the lacrosse game. I hadn't missed a single one since I came to Beacon Hills High School. Although I feel a little awkward with seeing Liam after I harshly rejected his invitation, I'm not prepared to miss the game. I gather my things and walk the short distance to the school.

The crowd roars as the boys play with all of the strength they have within. Everybody is shouting and clapping their hands; giving the boys all the support they need to win this last game.
I didn't realize it at first, but I had been focusing on Liam since the game had started. He is definitely one of the best players, if not the best actually. He scores. And then a couple of minutes later, he scores again. I applaud.

The game finishes with a triumph of victory for our school. I'm not surprised, but nevertheless, I'm ecstatic about the achievement. I make my way down the pavilion with the intention of congratulating Liam. I think it'll make things a little less uncomfortable for the both of us.

I stand on the tip of my toes once I reach the field, trying to spot Liam in the crowd of lacrosse players, cheerleaders and parents. Eventually, I see him. I walk over to him and immediately I catch his attention.

"Hey." I smile as we come face to face.

"Y/N hi, you enjoy the game?" He asks, looking slightly surprised.

"Yeah, I really did. Well done, you were amazing out there." I say.

"Thanks. It means a lot." He gives a small smile. There's an awkward silence.

One of the boys on the team approaches Liam and places his hand on his shoulder, "Sup Dunbar, trying again so soon?" He looks at me, "Who said she won't reject you again?" The taller boy laughs obnoxiously loud. I watch as Liam looks down, avoiding eye contact with both of us. His face starts turning red in embarrassment.

I speak up, "actually I came down here to ask Liam if he wanted to go see a movie tomorrow night... With me." Liam's eyes widens but he quickly recovers.

"Oh?" The boy stops laughing. "You're a lucky guy Dunbar." He pats Liam on the back, winks at both him and then me. He leaves.

"You didn't have to do that, but thanks." He smiles.

"No, I wanted to do that. I mean, I want to go out with you... I'm sorry for rejecting you yesterday, I know I was harsh, but you just caught me off guard. I'm not used to being asked out by anyone."

"Oh," He furrows his eyebrows, "Y/N I've wanted to ask you out for months. I just finally built up the courage to do that now."

I don't say anything; I'm surprised. Happiness rushes through my entire body and I can't help but smile. His lips curve into a smile too.

"You need a ride home?" He asks.

"Yeah, sure."

"Alright, let me just get my things. I'll be out in a minute."