Forty Four

~ 1 month later ~

I woke up to the freezing cold. It was Christmas break and Christmas this year was so dead because of what happened to Finn.

It was currently the 23rd of December 2018. Mine and Finn's 18th birthday...

I threw on my dressing gown and made my way down the stairs and stared around at the dark and empty atmosphere in the house. I made my way to the kitchen to see a cupcake on the side with a candle in it, the flame was still burning and it looked like it hadn't been there for long. I made my way over to it to see a note next to it.

Y/n
Happy 18th birthday!
Both Eric and I have to work today but we'll be back to celebrate your birthday soon.
Help yourself to any food in the cupboards.
Make a wish and enjoy the cupcake :)
Love Mary and Eric xx

I smiled at the note and then stared at the flame of the candle making a wish. I then blew out the flame and took the candle out of the cupcake, disposing of it.

I went and got ready after that by showering and then putting some clothes on. I made my way downstairs to grab some food from the kitchen and flicked on the tv. Did you really think I would be going out in this cold weather? Ha. You're wrong.

I wrapped up warm in my blanket and began stuffing my face with food whilst watching the maze runner movies.

I didn't like celebrating my birthdays because no one ever came to my parties and so I learned to just put them aside like they weren't important. I didn't feel any different it was just like any other day. I was only a year older anyway.

The doorbell rung so I just stared at it for a while before deciding to get up and answer it.

"H-hey." Ayla stuttered and nervously smiled as I opened the door. She had a beanie on with matching gloves and scarf with her jacket on over her always stylish 60's inspired clothes. Along with some boots. She was holding a brown box in her hand.

"Hey." I spoke and she just stared around nervously.

"I know we don't speak anymore but uh..." She started and just stared at the box in her hands.
"Happy birthday." She pushed the box forward in my direction and I just smiled at her, letting her in so she didn't freeze outside.

"Are Finn's parents not here?" She asked as she took off her scarf and coat and hung them up.

"They're both working" I held the box she gave me and we just wandered over to sit on the couch.

"I heard about Finn."

"Yeah I'm sure the entire school heard about what happened."

"Did you hear Beverly got taken into jail for questioning?" She told me and I actually had no idea that she did.

"No."

"She's been kept in over night! Her along with a bunch of guys from the football team." She shrugged!
"A load of them died or were badly injured on the cliff. Did you not hear any gun shots?" She questioned me and I just felt anxious.

"Uh, no. I just got to the river when I found Finn in the water. I'm not sure what happened." I lied to her, just like I did to the police when they asked me what happened...It was a dangerous game...