3. Kitten

"You can't be real. It was a dream." Pretending that no one is there, I turn around and lock my door before I walk to the elevator.

"Well, technically yes, it was, but I am real. Now, let's go, I'm very excited." The hallucination beams like a four year old girl, following my every step.

"Go where? I have work. Besides, I'm not going with you anywhere. You are NOT real." I scoff as I state, my denial stronger than my will to push the hallucinations away.

"Why not? We need to find Daniel." He ignors my last statement, and I notice how lighter his voice is now.

Oh, my prince's name is Daniel? Cute.

"Yes, it is." He smirks.

"How did you...?" I frown and he smirks again, looking more like an idiot by the second.

"You can't be serious! Cupids can't read minds." I wave my arms around, rushing out once the elevator settles on the ground floor.

"I can't read minds, just your mind, and not all the time. I can turn it off. It's like a switch." He shrugs, as if he's talking about the weather.

He can't be for real. This must be a prank. Did someone put him up to this?

Who am I kidding? I know no one. But Cupid? Cupid?

"Ye--"

"Don't!" I warn through clenched teeth, pointing my index finger at him threateningly. He presses his lips together awkwardly and nods.

This can't be happening. It can't be real. Am I still dreaming?

I pinch myself and I definitely feel that.

"What the hell are you doing?" Irritated, I stop walking when I notice him still following me around.

"Uhm... going with you?" He smiles adorably, just like he did in my dream.

"Really? I'm going to get myself a coffee, then to work, cupid." I huff.

"Call me Jack. And we have to start looking for Daniel." He explains for the tenth time and I automatically shake my head, as I walk out of the building.

"No, you do. I don't. I have to get this whole thing out of my head, and focus on my job." I state firmly and hail a cab.

"Fine." He mumbles. With a sigh, I get in the cab and, of course, Jack decided to get in as well and pushes me in the process, scooting me away to give him enough space to sit.

"You're not coming with." I grit my teeth.

"Why not? You said you're going to grab a coffee first, right?" His blue eyes stare at my soul as he talks and I internally groan. Why did they have to be so childishly blue?

"Yes."

"I'll tag alone, then. Maybe I can tell you about him, or about being cupid." He gives me a toothy grin.

"No."

"Why not? Pushing the whole 'I'm not real' matter aside, now that it is obvious that I truly am, don't you wanna find Daniel, Hannah? Aren't you eager to meet him already and have your heart beating incredibly fast when he comes near you? Don't you wanna fall in love with him and get married and finally have your happy ending? Because right now, you actually have the chance."

Oh, shit. I see what he's doing, and it's working, goddammit.

"I'm sure you can't wait to talk to him or stare at his eyes. To have your first kiss with him, your first date. To see him down on one knee holding an engagement ring and his eyes all glossy while he looks into yours and asks you, will you--"