Thirty-Nine

IT WAS OBVIOUS that Argent and Derek were still getting used to the idea of working together. For years there was nothing but venom spewed between their two families and the sudden change always made them be extra cautious when around the other.

Chris had been on his way out of his apartment to follow Isaac at Allison's request, when the presence of the former alpha changed his plans.

Derek wanted to show the ex-hunter something, wanting to see if it would spark a reaction from him. "These claws," his hazel eyes stared blankly at the desk he had placed them on, "are all that was left of my mother."

Chris immediately noticed the harshness in his tone, and slowly glanced up at him as Derek continued bitterly. "After your psychotic sister burnt her and the rest of my family alive."

Derek lifted his head, narrowing his gaze on Chris, who out of habit discretely reached for the pistol that was secured in his back pocket.

After that, chaos broke out.

Chris couldn't remember much of the fight when he awoke, just that now his movement became limited due to the restraints that held him securely in a chair. Blood trickled down his forehead as he turned to see Derek walking towards him, and he tried to get him to listen. "Derek, listen to me!"

Unfortunately, something had gotten under the werewolf's skin- a little fly that warped his mind to think of nothing but the hatred he felt for the hunter in front of him. "Whatever has gotten in your head- this isn't the way to deal with it!"

Derek acted like he didn't hear a sound, ignoring Argent's pleas as he poured gasoline on and around him. "You burn my family, I burn yours," he mumbled angrily under his breath, Chris trying to get the bitter taste of gasoline out of his mouth.

"In fact," Derek paused and moved to crouch in front of Chris, the dark bags under his eyes making him look insane, "I'll burn the whole building down." A small flame from a simple lighter danced instantly drew in Chris' focus, Derek purposely holding the item loosely in his hand. "Around you."

Chris didn't hesitate to blow the flame out with a deep breath, but regretted his action as Derek suddenly gripped his jaw tightly, glaring harshly. Chris' voice turned to muffles until Derek let go, standing abruptly. "That was Kate," Chris reminded him after he gained his breath, looking up at Derek seriously. "And you know I had nothing to do with that."

Once again, the flame was ignited and moved slowly in front of Derek's eyes while Argent tried to get him to listen. "I'm not your enemy, Derek," he kept his tone calm and steady. "Not anymore."

Derek snapped his focus back to him, slightly shaking his head to disagree. "Yeah, you are. You and Allison. Which is why, I'm not going to light this yet." He chuckled sickly, holding it an inches away from Argent, who leaned back in the chair to get as far away as possible.