17. The Job

Lucy walked towards the guild alone. Loke needed his rest. She missed him already, but it was probably good for her to get some time away from him. God... I went so far last night I almost... dear lord why? I gave him a boner for crying out loud! Even though Loke has tried to convince her that it was okay, she didn't buy it. She felt humiliated. They hadn't even shared a kiss and she went and stimulated his hormones on purpose.

"Lucy?" She didn't even realize she came to a stop until the sound of her guild mate's voice caught her attention.
"Gray, what's up?" She gave the male a smile. He waved and eagerly walked up to her, "Man, it's been so long! Warn us the next time Loke is stopping by so we can expect you to disappear for a long time." Lucy laughed a little and apologized. "I just got carried away, I guess." Gray nodded in understanding. His liquid steel eyes wandered to her side, the one that had been injured by Andromeda. He gave her a concerned look, which the blonde dismissed with a wave of her delicate hand, "It's fine. I'm fine. Thanks to Wendy!"

"And my old pal Loke. Or at least that's what I've heard."

Lucy smiled shyly and nodded, "He was there from start to finish. He even stayed through the night to take care of me." Lucy's mind wandered back to the feeling of his toned chest. She couldn't understand why it was so comfortable... maybe it was because he was so warm. Whatever the reason was, she didn't care. All she knew was that she enjoyed every second of that night... except the guilt she felt when she kept waking him up. Gray smiled in a suspiciously knowing way, "When are you two lovebirds gonna kiss? Or did you last night during your date~"

Lucy's face heated up, "H-How did you-"

"HEY EVERYONE! IT'S NATSU~!!"  Said the pinkette, who answered Lucy's question before she could even finish asking it. Natsu must have spread the word that she and Loke went out on a date. She was pissed, of course, but most of the guild members already knew they were getting closer. Closer than friends should be. She was just glad that Natsu hadn't burst in on them in her apartment. He would be unable to see and unhear certain things. Lucy almost physically cringed at her actions, but then that would require an explanation. She stormed over to the dragonslayer and stomped on his foot, enticing a cackle from the ice mage. Meanwhile, Natsu was clutching his foot and hopping on the other, shouting 'ow' repeatedly. Lucy then began scolding him for exposing her personal life to the guild. "You idiot! How many people did you tell about my date with Loke?!" Natsu paused, still holding onto his aching toes, "You're mad about that?"

Lucy pinched her temples as the corner of her brow twitched in irritation. "Yes I'm mad about that. That's my personal life, Natsu!"

"Oh come on... everyone already knows you have a thing for him." Natsu seemed annoyed to be admitting that. Yes, the male did have some lingering feelings for Lucy, and at first he was really unsure of the idea of her with Loke. But even he could no longer deny that what Loke felt for Lucy was real. He would be forever loyal to her.

"That isn't the point. Please stay out of my relationship with Loke. Okay?"

"Are you two talking about me~?" A familiar voice purred in her ear, causing her to squeak in surprise and  turn around quickly. Her eyes rested on a familiar red tie that seemed to be a favorite of the lion's. "Loke," her voice was hushed. Her gaze wandered up to his handsome face. She often wondered what it was like for someone to be too good to be true. Loke was just that.

"Well?" the ice mage raised a brow at the two of them, "it's not like we don't know about you guys. Just hug already!"

"LET ME GET MY CAMERA!" Shrieked Mira and she rushed into the backroom of the guild where they kept the extra food and booze. The two laughed and hugged each other. Lucy felt a bit embarrassed to be showing affection like this in front of her friends, but she enjoyed it nonetheless. When they parted from the hug, they were being glared at by Natsu. Loke looked at him with grave, jasmine eyes. Gray firmly grasped Natsu's shoulder to get his attention. The fire breather's expression softened for a moment, then returned to a hard gaze. Loke sighed and pushed his glasses into place, "I thought we were done with this." The guild was silent, all eyes were on them. Lucy couldn't believe that Natsu was still so upset that she had feelings for Loke... and he was taking it out on the poor spirit. It wasn't his fault she finally fell for his charm... she just saw a new side of Loke that made her appreciate even his flirtatious side. He was caring and warm and gentle... heroic and clever and optimistic. Who wouldn't love someone as precious as him? Natsu was cute too. But she wanted to be romanced... she wanted respect and to be rid of her insecurities here and there. Was that too much to ask for? Natsu shook his head, "I tried. But I just don't trust that you've changed. You're gonna cheat on Lucy!"

"I'm not going to cheat on her, Natsu."

"How can you expect us to believe that after you cheated on all those other girls?"

"Because none of them were Lucy," it was obvious that Loke was trying to keep calm. The last time he and Natsu got in an argument, it didn't end well. He and Lucy ended up leaving the guild... oddly for the same exact reason they were arguing now. Loke had hugged Lucy after she stuck up for him. But she misunderstood what Loke meant when he asked her not to. He knew Natsu was protective of Lucy, he had every right to be. But Loke's love for Lucy was genuine. Everyone knew it--even Natsu! He just didn't want to admit it. Lucy shook her head, "Natsu, that's enough. We just came here to visit everyone... you seemed fine with us yesterday... why all of a sudden are you acting like this again?"

Gray glared at Natsu. He said softly, "It's time to let go." Natsu shook his shoulder to shoo away the ice mage. "Let's take a job together, Lucy! Just like old times! You and me and Erza and Happy!... and I guess Ice Queen too." Lucy looked up at Loke. A job with her friends did sound fun... but she knew that this was some plan of Natsu's to get Loke out of the picture.

"If Loke can come, then sure!"

Natsu seemed shocked, but Loke looked relieved. Gray had a subtle smirk on his face. Lucy wasn't going to let Natsu exclude Loke. She didn't know what was going on with the pinkette lately... but she knew he wasn't being himself. Though he seemed alright the night before... perhapse that was because he had Lisanna with him. She always seemed to bring out the best in Natsu.

He nodded, "Deal. You can bring your pet along too."

Lucy smiled up at Loke, who looked relieved. Loke was the jealous type, and he wouldn't want her alone with Natsu, knowing that he liked her the way he did and all. But this would also put their relationship on hold ((sorry babies ;) I have to keep you waiting for that kiss!)) for now. However long the job would take... Loke wasnt the kind of man to show affection in front of another guy, knowing that guy liked the girl he was showing affection to. Gray walked over to the bored with Erza, who said nothing about their childish antics. They would pick the job while Natsu went to find happy to tell him the news.

This was going to be the longest job she had ever taken...