Ch 31: Kiss Your Hearts Goodbye

"No," Clarity denied crossing her arms glaring at Rip as he held an amnesia pill out to her.

"Clarity, we don't want to do anything that'll-"

"Upset the timeline. I know, but how is giving a dying girl hope for a better future going to upset the timeline?" Clarity demanded.

"Clarity, it's harmless, it won't even hurt her." Rip tried to convince her again.

"Taking away her memories of this won't hurt her? She deserves to know that I'll be okay without her." Clarity argued. "I'm not letting you take that closure away from her. It's already bad enough that I can't save her."

"Clarity, I'm telling you she can't remember. What if she tells your younger self all about this?" Rip questioned.

"So what if she does?" Clarity countered.

"What if she...Clarity, what happens when she tells your younger self about your powers and you decide you want to test them out or get them early so you jump off the roof trying to Glitch and break your neck? She can't remember any of this. The consequences could be disastrous." Rip implored her.

"Rip...I wouldn't do that." Clarity protested.

"You can't know that for sure." Rip shook his head.

"Well neither can you." Clarity argued.

"Clarity, for god's sake! Now look at which one of us isn't thinking."

"That's still you." Clarity replied stubbornly walking away from the time master Gideon resting in the medbay.

"Listen, earlier today you told me to stop and think. Well, this is me doing the same for you now. You could get yourself killed, Clarity, do you realize that?" Rip asked her.

"I also seem to remember I was right in that earlier situation." Clarity continued to walk away.

"Yes, well you're not right in this one and don't even try to deny it. No, amount of puppy dog eyes is going to change that either." Rip walked after her.

"When in the hell did I ever make puppy dog eyes at you?" Clarity questioned pausing in her walk looking back at Rip in confusion.

"When we were...oh bullocks." Rip swore rubbing his forehead cutting off whatever he was about to say.

"What is it?" Clarity asked concerned.

"The timeline it's beginning to set." Rip answered her.

"So, you're starting to get memories of our younger selves together?" Clarity asked her eyebrows raising slightly.

"Yes, which means we have to hurry and get all of your loved ones home so we can continue the mission." Rip told her. "Even though the Pilgrim is dealt with the omega protocol is still in effect."

"Meaning our younger selves can't go home until we finish the mission." Clarity frowned.

"Precisely." Rip nodded. "Which is also why if you don't give Gideon this pill, I will. We don't have anymore time to argue about this and I'm not risking your life anymore than I already have. I almost lost you once today and I'm not inclined to repeat that disaster."

"Rip, she'd never do anything to hurt me. Don't try to take this away from her." Clarity pleaded. "I won't let you make her forget."

"You're really going to fight me on this aren't you?" Rip sighed.

"If I have to." Clarity replied.

"You two don't have to fight." A voice spoke up from the medbay. Rip and Clarity's attention both turning to Gideon who stood in the doorway. She looked a bit better than earlier, but she still looked pretty sick. "I'll take the pill."