Chapter 3

Please God, let me be able to trust him... Let me be safe if I do. Please protect us both... because once he knows... He's pulled in as well...

"Alright, I'm going to trust you." I start. "But you can't tell anyone. After I explain this all to you... Neither of us are safe, got it?" I watch as Jason shakes his head 'yes', his breathing would be like mine. "It's a mafia. A mafia is looking for me." I blurt out, his face turning pale.

He starts to pull over, but I stop him, placing a hand on his arm. "Keep driving and I'll explain." I breathe out. He does as I say, and continues on the highway. "It all started two months ago. My asshole father kicked me out and I had no where to go." I start again, keeping my eyes trained on the road ahead. "I ended up at the docks at the other side of town. It was like a safe spot for me, so many memories were held there. But- I was too caught up in my thoughts- and I ran into one of the cargo crates." He calms a bit, keeping his eyes on the road as well. "Two men caught me, accused me of spying and brought me to this office-thing. There, I met Kyle, the boss. He kept me in his penthouse apartment for two months, until I escaped- well, today." I could feel my face drop. "I was stupid and naive... I actually fell for him- we had sex... and then he broke my heart. He took my purity and kicked me out of his room..." I began to cry softly, his words ringing in my head. "Then, I ran. I devised a plan, and went for it; and thank God it worked. I was held captive for two months of my life and, at one point, I thought about staying."

Jason places his hand on my shoulder, giving me a look of pity. "I'll bring you with me, Robyn. I'll make sure he never finds you there okay?" He questions and I nod. "When we get to Florida, you'll change your name, dye your hair and get some colored contacts. You can stay with me until we're sure you're hidden." He speaks, taking out phone from his pocket.

"Really? You will help me?" My eyes start to water at his kindness. "And what are you doing?"

"I'm calling my father. I'm going to tell him of our plan. I'll be using company money for the legal name and identity change." He explains, causing me to worry a bit. I didn't want anyone else pulled into this mess.

"But- I don't want anyone else pulled in... I don't want to see anyone hurt because of me." I gulp, rubbing circles in my own hand to keep myself calm.

"Don't worry, Robyn. That mafia has nothing on my family." He assures me, starting to speak into the phone. The conversation goes on for a good thirty minutes as Jason relays my story to his father.

I can feel my body go limp from exhaustion, my eyes slowly falling into a soundless slumber. Ever since that night a few days ago, I haven't slept a wink. Every time I closed my eyes I saw Kyle putting his pants on and taunting me. He'd let out sneers of insults, his spiteful words repeating in my dreams. But now, in the car with a complete stranger, on a road trip across the country, I feel safe. Those nightmares didn't come when I closed my eyes this time.

After a few hours, I felt myself come back into consciousness. The sky was pitch black and the vibrations of the car pulsed through my legs. I became aware of my surroundings, for a moment thinking this was all a dream. My head spun to the driver; and there Jason was, tapping a beat with his hands on the steering wheel.

He noticed my movements and glanced over at me. "Oh- you're awake." He says in a low, dry tone. He sounds exhausted.

"Yeah... How long was I out?" I question, throwing another into the mix before he could respond. "And where are we?"

"Er..." He sounds, thinking for a moment. "We're almost in Wyoming, and you have been asleep for a good... I'd say five to six hours?"

"Oh." I nod, looking out at the night sky.

"I'm having a jet pick us up when we get to Wyoming. As much as I love being on the road, we need to get the legal things in place." He informs me, keeping a keen eye on the road. "My father agreed to the plan, but he wants nothing to do with it. The money from the company will just be money taken out of my salary for this month. He has given me a raise to make using the money quicker and legal, not ending in a case of fraud."

I blink a few times at the new information, it was a lot to take in. I'll be riding in a jet? They are actually going to help me?

"It's a lot to process, I know, but I promise you that we will keep you safe. After your clearance for the identity change, I'll help you find an affordable apartment and a good, low key job that won't draw you any attention." He tells me of the plan, and my emotions kick in. I feel like the luckiest person in the world to have bumped into this man. I start to weep softly, the tears filled my face. Jason notices my status and pulls over onto the side of the highway. He allows me to hug him, and I wet his shoulder with my tears.

"Thank you." I whisper over and over again.