Part 2 - Meet Elisabetta

• Dedicated to Georgia Drinan

Never a moments peace. That was her mothers motto. Never time to stay in bed or think too much. Because being busy is what stops us from becoming sad. You'll never have time for emotions if you are constantly doing something. Don't stop and keep busy.

Ice Woman crept into the packed hall, seemingly unnoticed by anyone.

"Elisabetta!" a boys voice called out. Ice Woman froze. It was just in the knick of time that she removed her mask and hid it in her towering hairdo. She turned to greet the fellow.

"Zev! Hey, how are you?" was all she could muster while trying in vain to get her heart to slow down. 'That was close!' she thought.

"Alright. Um, where are your shoes?" the boy she'd identified as Zev enquired.

She smiled in reply - a rather nervous one for Elisabetta - and pulled out a pair of blue sandals from her hair.

She began to converse with Zev. Looking him over, for she hadn't met him in a long time, she noticed many things that had changed about him. He had grown taller for instance, and broader and more muscular. His naturally bright, red hair had also become unkempt and messy, which in her opinion made him look very good indeed! His huge, blue eyes still pierced her soul, and his face was still young and boyish.

"So, I hear you've become a master seductress with a heart of solid ice and every guy in the school after you."

Elisabetta spluttered, almost chocking on her lemonade. She stared at Zev.

"Who said this exactly? That is so not true. I mean, I may be incredibly pretty and all - but really, isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder?" she laughed lightly and continued. "However, if that was your way of complimenting me, then, indeed, thousands of boys follow me home daily, harassing me with invitations to movies. Yes, and I can hardly refuse ALL of them, although I don't like any, and I get a free movie whenever I want. There now, will that do?"

Zev chuckled in response.

"What, nothing to say? Oh, and about my heart of solid ice" - which had actually worried her when he'd said it for Elisabetta was afraid he may know her secret ability to be able to shoot frozen water from her palms and the heels of her feet - " that is completely preposterous! I do have emotions, thank you very much!"

"Yes, I thought as much. When I had heard it, I knew it couldn't be true. Surely you couldn't have changed so much that you used smitten boys for movies and could never love!"

Elisabetta smiled as the music changed.

"Come dance with me! This is my favourite song," was her reply.

The rest of the evening passed easily enough, with light conversation about school, music and some movies they'd recently seen.

Zev was all Elisabetta could think of on the ride home. How much he'd changed and how much he may suspect or know about her secret identity. She had to be smarter, not allow anyone to find out about Ice Woman, and not let anyone near her heart.

As she lay in bed that night, our hero reminisced about the day her life changed forever. She had just been 13 years of age, with the ambition of becoming a volunteer for Greenpeace and WWF. She had just chosen to become vegan, to her mothers red-meat-loving dismay, and was protesting in front of a nuclear power plant when there had been an accident. She had been exposed to nuclear waste and as a result, she had become mutated. She could shoot ice from the ends of her limbs, run super fast, and react quicker than any human. It also meant she could use her powers to protect the world and stop evil people who don't care about the environment, like Thomas St. Jones, from destroying it.

She finally fell asleep.