Ch. 35 A Trick

A sword clapped into a scabbard and a fairy sighed in disgust. "We go! This place stinks of man's sweat and iron, of human filth and decay!"

"The witch sent us for the boy," said the other. "We search upstairs."

"Bah! He's not here. I'll stay no longer."

The door was thrown wide open and M. Ruffieux sputtered in surprise. "Daniel! You out there? Get inside before I take a switch to your hide!"

In the closet, Daniel tensed and Cocot pressed her hand on his lips harder.

The first fairy must have left. The second fairy grunted and cursed before he hit the table with his fist and left, dragging his blade over the wooden floor.

Farmer Ruffieux babbled in amazement at the noises and the door swinging to and fro on its own. He slammed it shut and locked it. He muttered on his way up the stairs.

When the candlelight and noise faded, Cocot went limp with relief.

"I think it's safe," she whispered. "I think they're gone, but you have to hide tonight." Easing the door open, she risked looking into the room.

No one. She motioned for Daniel to follow.

Daniel searched the two back rooms. "It's clear."

"All right. Stay put for tonight, but tomorrow as soon as there's light, take the farmer's truck and go to Bulle. From there, you can take the train.Get as far away from here as you can," Cocot said.

"What were those things?" he asked, tapping the bread knife.

"They are...they are great fairies who live under the hill," she answered. "I made a mistake. There is a witch who wants something from me and thinks that by hurting you, I'll give it to her. That's why she wants you—to make me suffer. I'm sorry, Daniel. I'm sorry. I never meant to put you in danger or for this to happen."

It sounded like madness, she shuddered at what he must think of her.

He frowned for a moment and clutched the knife tighter. "We can go to the attic," he finally said. "Hide there. Tomorrow, we'll make a run for it. Figure things out."

"I can't go with you," she said, shaking her head. "I have to set this right. I have to go to the fountain in Lessoc."

Daniel stared at her, speechless, while several seconds ticked by. "You say they are fairies and we should hide from them. That seems reasonable, apart from the fairy stuff. And a witch wants to hurt you by hurting me. I say let her try. You say I should hide because you are going to the fountain at Lessoc tonight, and I...I don't understand. One or both of us is crazy."

"Neither one of us is crazy, Daniel. They're real, the witch is real. I know it's hard to accept, but I came tonight to tell you to hide from the fairy guards. That's all. You have to hide, and I have to go to Lessoc."

"What can you do at Lessoc against those things? They had knives and swords!"

"I have to try and keep the witch from getting more evil from the fountain." Cocot decided she might as well be honest and explain everything at this point. "The fairy king told me to fix it...right before the witch must have killed him."

Daniel scoffed and turned his head. "Crazy. All of this is crazy. The farmer didn't even see them in here, no one sees them but us. Wait...." Understanding dawned in his expression. "No one sees you, either. Oh, that's it. I'm the one who's crazy."

"I put a spell with pixie dust on you to see me this afternoon. It must work for all fairies. But it's real. I'm real."

"Then you're a fairy, too?" He reached out as though to touch her cheek.