Chapter Fifteen

C h a p t e r F i f t e e n
T h e S e c o n d T a s k

It was one month after the Yule Ball when the date for the second task was announced

It was one month after the Yule Ball when the date for the second task was announced. The snow had now cleared from the castle, any remaining signs of the winter could be found on the peaks of the Scottish mountains which surrounded the Wizarding school.

Christmas and New Year had passed with Evelyn staying at Hogwarts for the holidays, so she could help Harry and Cedric figure out their next clue.

It allowed her to spend more time with her friends while her father kept his head low. Ron had apologised to her the day after the Ball, which allowed the two to make up and have a wonderful Christmas together as they were not going home to see their family this year.

Cedric had figured out his clue just after New Year, Evelyn had not helped Harry in a while after he assured her that he knew what he was doing.

It wasn't until days before the task that Harry admitted to Eve and Hermione that he hadn't accomplished unlocking the clue.

"Harry, you told me you'd figured the egg out weeks ago," Hermione snapped in disbelief. "The task is two days from now."

"Really? I had no idea," Harry questioned sarcastically. "I suppose Viktor and Cedric have already figured it out." He added, directing the statement towards the two girls.

Eve smiled slightly hearing the boy's name before she hid it quickly, Hermione had received all the news of what happened at the Yule Ball. But Harry hadn't been informed.

"Cedric has but we don't talk about what the clue was," Eve answered as she looked away from the beautiful view the covered bridge faced.

"Wouldn't know, we don't actually
talk about the tournament. Actually, we don't really talk at all. Viktor's more of a physical being."

Evelyn and Harry shared a smirk at the girl's words before she realised the innuendo she had made. "I just mean he's not particularly loquacious. Mostly, he watches me study. It's a bit annoying, actually."

Evelyn's laughter died down as she thought of the subject she and Hermione had discussed earlier. "You are trying to figure this egg out, aren't you?" She asked cautiously.

The boy's smiled dropped upon hearing Eve's words. "What's that supposed to mean?" He questioned.

"She just means these tasks are designed to test you...in the most brutal way. They're almost cruel," Hermione explained

"And we're scared for you," Evelyn admitted as she frowned at the boy. She placed her hand on top of his in means to gain his attention, "You got by the dragons mostly on nerve. We just don't know if nerve will be enough to get you through the rest."

"Hey, Potter!" A voice called. Evelyn turned to see Cedric coming down the bridge. She quickly smiled at him before she turned to frown at Harry, who had started heading in the opposite direction.