14 | B I R T H D A Y

this is a little like hell.           
               almost romantic.

   "SO WHAT'S HE teaching you? Dumbledore?", Ember asked, tucking her hair back into a ponytail as she blankly stared into the cloudy morning sky

   She and Harry coincidentally had met in the owlery, both watching Woody and Hedwig grow smaller on the steal grey horizon.

   "Huh?" Harry's eyes flickered towards his sister, cocking an eyebrow as if he hadn't understood a word, before he shrugged and said, "Oh, it's not really teaching. He's showing me memories. Memories of Voldemort. Don't really know where this is leading to." He made a pause, and Ember listened into the silence, before Harry said, "Have you ever heard of Horcruxes?"

   "Hor—what?" Turning towards him, her eyebrow shot up.

   "Horcruxes", Harry repeated that strange sounding word. "I mean ... You've been there. You've been with the Death Eaters and Voldemort. Did they mention something like that?"

   "I have no memory of that, you remember? Never heard of such a word, though. What's it about?"

   "I kinda need to find out", Harry said, rubbing his neck. "No lesson with Dumbledore until I'll get that information."

   "Any idea how to get it?" Ember watched Harry as he shrugged.

   "Slughorn", he briefly replied, as if this was the answer to everything. Ember threw him a questioning look, so he cleared his throat and said, "You know it's true, do you? What they say about me being the Chosen One."

   Ember's eyes grew large; not having lost a thought about this for a long while, she felt her stomach twist.

   "You're kidding!", she exclaimed. "So what, you needed weeks to tell me about this little detail? Say, are you freaking kidding me?" She took a deep breath to steady the upwelling feeling of wrath in her guts. "Okay, fine", she then said. "And what exactly have this Horcrux things to do with you being the Chosen One?"

   "That's for me to find out. You know Dumbledore —"

   "Oh yes, I know him pretty well enough to be sure that he already exactly knows what's up about these." She angryly snorted a bitter laughter. "He's giving you a little work, you know? Talking in riddles like he always does, the almighty old twat. Where is he, by the way? Haven't spotted him at dinner for weeks now."

   "He's on one of his journey's, I s'pose", Harry mumbled, absentmindedly rubbing his scar. "See, I might need your help with that, Em."

   "I already told you I never had heard about something as a Horcrux."

   "Slughorn likes you —"

   "Yeah, but he pretty much adores you, so where's the point?", Ember asked, raising an eyebrow.