The sun and moon pt 2

Just then, Kara's phone rang, the current subject of conversation lighting up its display.

"It's Lena," Kara reported, slipping out from under Alex's hand as she picked up her phone and walked to the window. "Lena?"

There was quiet on the other line for a beat before the other woman finally spoke. "Kara."

"Where are you? Is everything ok?"

"I'm about an hour out of town. I followed your advice; I went to see Lex." Kara picked up the sound of gravel crunching under heavy boots, and Kara could just imagine Lena pacing back and forth by the side of the highway next to that damned motorcycle. The footsteps came to a stop. "I'll be honest with you, Kara: everything...everything is not ok."

Kara pressed her lips together, her stomach twisting as she performed some rough mental calculations. If she flew fast enough, she could be an hour out of National City within minutes as Supergirl. But that wasn't who was on the phone with Lena right now.

"Did you need me to contact Supergirl?" she asked.

"No," Lena said firmly. "I want to see you."

Kara's eyebrows peaked in surprise and she cleared her throat. "Me? Wh—why me? I mean, of course, I'm here for you, whatever you need but I thought you and Supergirl—"

"I can't talk to her about this," Lena's words cut Kara short. "The matter is more...human." There was a pause, and when Lena spoke again, her voice had softened. "You understand, right Kara?"

"Human," Kara repeated, as though saying it herself would make more sense. The way Lena said it was strange, weighed down with a hidden significance Kara couldn't quite understand. "Of course," she continued regardless.

Lena exhaled on the other end of the line, and the crunching footsteps resumed with purpose. "Great. Where can I meet you?"

"I'm at my apartment."

"Perfect. I'll see you in an hour."

Before Kara could say anything else, the call disconnected. Kara stared at her phone screen for a moment before looking up at Alex and Maggie, who were staring right back. "That was her," she said blankly.

"No kidding," Alex breathed a laugh.

"Alex, why are you talking to that beetroot?"

Kara's blush deepened, but she ignored Maggie's cheeky grin as Alex nudged her girlfriend reprimandingly. "She's coming over here. Something must have happened at the prison; she sounded...off," Kara said, her brow furrowing.

"How do you mean?" Alex asked.

"I can't put my finger on it," Kara shook her head, "she did just see her brother in prison for the first time in two years. That would shake anyone up," she said dismissively.

"You're not going to use that as an excuse not to tell her today, are you?" Alex asked, sceptical brow raised.

"What? Me? Put something off doing something that I know I need to do but I'm terrified of doing anyway?" Kara asked preposterously. "It's almost like you don't know me at all."

Alex's frown broke into an affectionate smile and she shook her head lightly. "Whatever you say."

"Just pull it off like a Band-Aid. Maybe blood will spurt horribly everywhere, maybe it won't. You won't know until you just rip that sucker off," Maggie said, clearly thinking she was being helpful, as the Danvers sisters gave her matching horrified looks.

"That's really bad advice," Kara whispered weakly.

"I think that's our cue to leave," Alex grimaced. She kissed Kara on the top of her head and made her promise to call afterwards, then gathered up her things and her girlfriend before Maggie decided to give any more 'helpful' advice.