Prologue

"I'm breaking up with you."

My heart dropped deep into my chest at his words.

Everything after that was a blur. I watched his lips move in slow motion. I knew he was speaking to me, but I couldn't hear a single word he was saying over the loud ringing in my ears.

"What?" I barely managed to push out.

Grayson refused to look me in the eyes. "I can't do this anymore," He said quickly.

I was hoping I hadn't heard him right.

"But when did you... I thought... I thought everything between us was good... " I tripped over my words as I tried to think of any excuse to get him to stay.

Grayson looked up to meet my eyes, taking my breath away. "Please try to understand, Savannah."

When was the last time he called me by my full name? And how could I understand? This was so sudden.

I furrowed my eyebrows in frustration, blinking to try and fight back tears. "I can't, Gray. Because I - I don't understand." I said, my voice raising slightly. "I thought we were in love. You aren't happy?"

Grayson looked away from me the moment the words fell out of my mouth, shattering my heart into millions of pieces.

I dropped my eyes to my lap, noticing the shiny piece if jewelry on my finger. "But the promise ring," I stuttered, "you said you wanted to marry me, someday," I whispered to him.

I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. He was my whole world, and now I didn't even belong is his.

Silence filled Grayson's car, the only noise coming from the heavy rained that poured down all around us.

Grayson paused for a moment. "I'm doing this for you, Savannah."

I snapped my head up to him, looking at him angrily. "You don't know what's best for me, Gray."

Grayson looked away from me again. "I know it's not me."

What the hell? What did that mean?

I reached out to cup his face, slightly tilting his chin so he was looking at me. "I know you aren't perfect, Gray, and I love you, regardless. You are what's best for me, because I love you, so you don't need to do this. Please, don't do this." I pleaded with him desperately.

Grayson shifted out of my grip, making my heart sink into my chest.

While I was busy trying to hang onto him, It was clear he had already let go of me. I was fighting a losing battle.

I was fighting for us and our relationship - two years of memories, love, and every little moment in between.

And Grayson wasn't fighting at all. He wasn't even trying to save whatever was left of us.

So what was the point in even trying to change his mind?

I bit my lip to hold back the sob that so desperately wanted to escape, finally giving up.

"I'm so sorry, Savannah."

I wanted to ask him why. I wanted to know why he doing this so out of the blue, and was willing to let me go so easily. But I knew it would be best, for my sake, if I didn't know the answer. I knew the truth would only hurt me more.

He's breaking up with me. He's really leaving me and there's nothing I can do about it. There's nothing I can do or say to make him stay.

Just months ago he gave me a promise ring and said he wanted to marry me.

What had changed?

The first tear fell from my eye when Grayson unlocked the car door, silently telling me to get out of his car.

So that's it? He's not even going to think twice about throwing everything we've been through, together, away? And he's going to throw me out in the rain while he's at it?

The thought of it didn't just make me sad. It pissed me off.

I twisted the ring off of my finger, throwing it at Grayson as I began to cry. "Screw you, Gray." I told him bitterly, opening the door and stepping out of the car into the cold rain.

There was a sad look on his face as he picked up the promise ring in his fingers.

"Savannah you'll be happier in the end," He said softly. "Please, just trust me on this."
I trusted him with my heart, and look where that got me.

"You know what would make me happier, Gray?" I yelled to him so I could be heard in the pouring rain. "If you never, ever, speak to me again." I said coldly. "So just go." I breathed out, unable to look at him.

I didn't mean it. The last thing I wanted him to do was stop talking to me. The words left my mouth before I could process them. Either way, I couldn't take them back, now.

"Don't do that, I don't want to say goodbye like this, Savannah." He begged.

"I have nothing I want to say to you," I spat at him. "Just get the hell out of here, Gray," I whispered, trying to hold back my tears. "And stay the hell out of my life."

Don't go, Gray. Please, don't go.

Grayson's face dropped, hurt flashing across his face. He looked away from me for a moment, clearing his throat. "You don't mean that." He said quietly, his voice wavering.

I folded my arms over one another, my throat tightening as my heart continued to shatter. I knew that the moment I opened my mouth, sobs would fall out instead of words.  So, I said nothing.

I could feel his eyes on me, begging me silently to look at him or to say something. But I couldn't do it. I couldn't do either without breaking down.

He continued to look at me for a moment, opening his mouth to say something before he shut it. "I know you don't really mean that." He repeated.

"I do." I pushed out, my voice hoarse.

"Fine."

I couldn't react soon enough to stop him from pulling out of my driveway and speeding down the road.

I stood there helplessly, watching his car disappear down the street. As soon as it was gone from sight, I broke down, my tears masked by the rain.

He's gone. He's really gone.

That day, more than anything, I wanted him to come back.

Little did I know... he would.