Episode 28

Why was that dance called the Ecerre Ball?

Alastair tapped the magnifying glass icon on the terminal. "What is the Ecerre Ball?"

There was a prompt to set up the digital assistant. There were different voices. There was a male and female voice similar to the ones he was used on Earth (they did sound more robotic than he expected, though), two that sounded like a maid and a butler, and one that sounded like a cute mouse.

He didn't really use the one in his phone, but En used the digital assistant in his at every opportunity. His twin would pick the butler's voice even if people made fun of him for it. Actually, En was always really technologically inclined. The school Del went to was supposed to have an amazing program for that. Star was surprised he decided not to enroll there when they started high school.

The boy chose the regular lady's voice. He liked the sound of it the best.

"What is my name, my master?" she asked.

Alastair spoke with a tired voice. "Ramona."

"I like my name." A smiling face appeared on the holographic display. "What should I call you, my master?"

He smiled. "Collin."

Honey traipsed into the room. She wanted to know why he gave the assistant that name.

"Because." Alastair rubbed her chin. "Only Ame knows the truth. Since Cyan and Maggie call me Collin, it'll draw less attention to me when we're in public."

Names made little difference to Honey who like all dogs took the world in through their nose. He'd still be the same person inside, too.

He laid on the bed and smiled. A dog's unconditional love was the best. It made this world better. No. It made any world better.

"Ramona?"

"Yes, Collin?"

He held the terminal to his mouth. "What is the origin of the Ecerre ball?"

"Let me find out." A loading projection appeared. "The holiday began with a family that lived in a town founded before the current king's family came to power. Eventually, it was named for Ethan; his daughter, Catherine; Ryan; his daughters, Elizabeth and Rachel; and a possible additional child often called Eterna."

His jaw dropped. "My family is big but wow."

"The point of the holiday is to connect with and enjoy others, and as such, no one works on the night of the Ecerre Ball, which takes place the Saturday closest to March twentieth." The screen disappeared. "Anything else, my master?"

He shook my head. "Thank you, Ramona. That will be all."

The green light on the terminal disappeared.

***

Alastair missed Lissy. Why wasn't she happy to see him? They always had so much fun together.