21. Diviner

- Jaden -

- Jaden -

I kept thinking about Oliver's words the entire night. A guy at school... One of those bastards were making him miserable, and I wasn't sure if I had the willpower to let that slide. I didn't want to have anything to do with Oliver, but he was constantly crying his eyes out. I could feel his misery and sadness in my soul, and that was even without my connection to him.

A guy at school. I had a few guesses, so I knew where to start bashing some skulls. I mean, investigate.

It was way too early in the morning – as always – as I walked to Tilly's. My car was so deep under snow that I couldn't be bothered to use it until spring, and Arch... He didn't like driving. Especially in our town.

I spotted him standing in front of Tilly's home, and I waved at him.

"We're going to be late," he informed me.

"Again?" I sighed and turned to look at the house where Tilly and her parents lived. "She's getting us in trouble with Beta Ryder again."

"I heard he's not coming to school for a few days," Arch said quietly.

"Oh?" that cheered me up. "Why?"

He turned to look at me with raised eyebrows. "He's your father's beta. You should know these things better than I do."

"Ehh," I shrugged dismissively. "I wasn't home last night."

He chuckled lightly. "It's weird that you're running around on your own. You were seeing him, weren't you?"

I flashed my teeth at him. It probably wasn't nearly as intimidating in human form as it was in my wolf form but the meaning behind it was still the same. And since Arch was Arch, he laughed at my face.

"Anyway – Beta Ryder took a few of the scouts with him when he left. Apparently, there's a few Black Thorns acting suspiciously in town. They went to find out what's going on," he spoke.

"Suspiciously? Did they finally learn how to read?" I scoffed, and he rolled his eyes at my joke. "Now that would be suspicious."

"Yeah, you laugh all you want," Arch muttered, pulling his jacket tighter around himself. 

He didn't continue talking but I knew what he wanted to say. He was the only Diviner in our whole pack and I had never met anyone else with his impressive skills to read omens. People said there was no one as sensitive to pick up threats as he was. And he didn't like the town. He could see omens and warnings everywhere, which was the reason he didn't like driving. Sometimes it got so bad we had to leave the town so he could catch a breath.

And it was only growing worse in my opinion, but the only threat we were facing in there was getting exposed to humans, so there was nothing we could do about it. I guess that's why my dad had decided to put Ryder to check out what the Black Thorns were up to in town. In case there really was something going on.