ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 7

"THIS IS A BAD IDEA," I announced, folding my hands and not moving from my place.

"No, it is not Katerina," Elijah said with a tired sigh, annoyed with my whining.

"It is Elijah," I insisted stubbornly. I turned to face him, still remaining in the passenger seat of the car. "You have gone bonkers if you think the people won't get suspicious when they see Elena Gilbert accompanying an Old man instead of her sweet boyfriend to a Historical society tea party."

Elijah just opened my side of the door and bent over to unfasten the seatbelt by himself before he voiced out his points. "It is just a beautiful girl accompanying the new author in town as a gesture of kindness while her boyfriend is out of the town." He then pulled me out of the car, holding me by my arms gently. Once I was dragged out, he hooked our arms, pulling me along inside the Lockwood Mansion, "And what's it called ―ah! FYI, I am not an old man."

"Says the thousand-year-old Original," I said with a snort.

"It's not like you are 18 years old either. And I am still good looking than you. I wonder why?" the Original said with a smirk. Before I could retort him with another comeback, Jenna announced her presence.

"Elena ―I thought you will be going to the lake house with Stefan," Jenna said in a confused tone, making her way to us.

"Lakehouse. Is it your idea?" Elijah murmured next to my ears.

"Uh ―Stefan ―er, had to go see his grandmother in Italy, as she was not feeling well. So we had to cancel the plan," I managed to say, trying not to be phased by Elijah's presence next to me.

"Elijah, I didn't know you two will be coming ―together," she said, glancing at our curved arms not so subtly.

Elijah gave her a charming smile, flattering her even before he spoke. "I asked Miss. Gilbert here to be my date since I don't know many people here, and she gladly agreed as it was not a school day considering it's Good Friday," replied Elijah. Just as we are finishing up the conversation, Rose, Damon, and Carol made their way to us.

I hated social interactions. Absolutely despised the fake pleasantries that are a must. But like everyone on earth, I had to also give them my best false smile when introducing myself.

"Elena, Elijah, Damon? I am surprised you are all here," Carol said, hugging Damon and me.

"I am too―" Damon said, looking at me with narrowed eyes. I shrugged at him, saying I didn't want to be here anymore than he. Damon gave me a look that said we have to talk later, and when I nodded, he turned towards the host of the event. "Carol, this is Rose. She is a friend of mine ―visiting," and both women nodded their head in acknowledgment.