Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Caleb's POV:

In the second period it was two-one for us. There were a lot of penalties and the guys were getting anxious. Juliet was out and we were on the penalty kill. McClement shot it down into the offensive zone and Juliet skated hard after it. As she got close, Chris Neil came out and checked her from behind.

She went flying head first into the boards. She sprung back and the whistle was blown. As the fans booed and the players yelled my eyes stayed locked on an unmoving Juliet. Chris Neil was kicked out and as he was skating a scream erupted from Juliet. The stadium went quiets as she screamed touching her back.

"My back! My back! Caleb!" She yelled. I got up but a firm hand was on my shoulder. I looked back at coach and he looked down at me sadly.

"You can't go out. I'm sorry." He said as the trainer ran onto the ice. He bent down and spoke to her and he signalled for the stretcher. They wheeled it out an I sighed shifting in my seat. They examined her and rolled her onto the stretcher and strapped her down. They rolled her off and I breathed heavily.

During the intermission I was hoping they wheeled her into the dressing room but she wasn't there. Her stall was empty and her stuff still laid neatly folded. I sat down starring at her stall and a bunch of guys patted me on the shoulder. I nodded and the game continued. It was the longest period in my life as I sat on the bench.

All the shit I have done and then this happens. That asshole may have ended her hockey career! Anger,rage and sadness was flowing through me. I wanted to kill Chris Neil. If he did anything life threatening he would need body guards because I was going for him.

Once the game was finished I didn't even worry about the score. I ran into the dressing room and got quickly undressed. The guys would head there in a little bit. I took a taxi to the main hospital and went inside.

"Hi, I'm looking for Juliet McDavid?" I asked.

"Fracture clinic. Room six." She responded. I followed the lines and came to the fracture clinic. I opened room six and she laid on the bed. a large bar was wrapped around her waist and one was around her head. Metal bars kept her back straight. She looked like she was stuck in a box.

"Caleb!" She smiled.

"Hey! How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Better. I'm out for the rest of pre season. I have a cracked vertebrae. I have to stay in this for two weeks, take some bone strengthening vitamins and some pain killers. I have a concussion too because I blacked out." She explained.

"Are you in a lot of pain?" I asked.

"No. The pain killers I'm on are a-ma-zing!" She chined. I chuckled at her reaction and smiled.

"I'm glad you're okay." I whispered.

"You know. When I was on the ice I didn't even want my mom. I wanted you. But you weren't allowed on so I had to settle for Reilly, Jake and McClement." She joked. I smiled and took her hand.

"I'm sorry." I said.

"For what?" She asked curiously. I couldn't help but smile.

"I was an ass to you. The truth is, Jules. I don't want you to leave, okay? I want you to live with me. I like waking up to you eating cereal everyday, I like how you keep me busy. I was bored before and I never stayed at home. I want to stay at home now because I know you are there." I said. She starred into my eyes, her eyes looked a little damp.

"I know but, I don't want to bombard you. It's your pad. Your life, I shouldn't have said anything about Clara because it's not my place." She said.

"No. You did have the right."

"No, Cale I'm not your mom, I'm not your sister. It's none of my business." She said a tear leaking away. I reached out and brushed it away with my hand.

"I want to make it your business." I said starring right into her green eyes. She looked up shocked.

"What?" She asked.

"I want to make it your business, Jules. You're my girl."

"So that time in Hawaii. You were serious about calling me your girl. The whole Sandra-or whatever the hell her name is was just a cover up?" She asked.

"Of course. I didn't know exactly how to tell my best friend that I liked her a lot more than friends...I wanted to tell her..."I trailed off wondering if I should even say it.

"What did you want to tell her, Caleb?" Her voice was barely a whisper. I wasn't meeting her eyes and I looked up still holding her hand.

"That I love her." I said gritting my teeth as memories of Chris Neil hitting her crossed my mind. She looked shocked.

"That I would do anything to be with her. I would leave everything; hockey, my friends, money, fame...all of it is worthless if my girl isn't there with me to experience it." I said.

"But hockey is your dream." She said.

"Yea...When I was young. Being what I am now was my dream. Playing the greatest sport in the world with my boys an having every girl at my beck and call...But it's not my dream. You are. My dream is to call you mine and to let everyone know that you're mine."I said.

"Well I don't want you to quit hockey because my dream is to win a Stanley cup together..."She laughed. I laughed lightly and she calmly rubbed my hand.

"I would kiss you, but the current predicament is kind of stopping me." She laughed.

"That's okay. You need to focus on getting better." I said squeezing her hand as she yawned.

"Get some rest. The doctor said we can head home tomorrow. I am going back to the hotel to pack our stuff. Okay?" I said. I turned at the door but she was already out like a light.

"Okay." I confirmed smiling.