Carrie Part 2

You and Carrie have grown closer...

You spend the weeks leading up to prom with her. She doesn't object to your company, and you enjoy getting to know her. Her mom doesn't like you. She doesn't like anyone who gets close to her daughter, so you don't take it personally. You can't visit her at home, and she can't come to visit you. But you make it work.
One day, Carrie pulls you under the stairwell.
"I have to show you something. You have to swear not to tell anyone, though."
"Do you have four boobs?" you ask, but her face is dead serious.
"No."
"What is it, then?" you question, and she reaches into her bag. Producing a pen, she places it in her open palm. And then, it begins to float. You think you're hallucinating, but no. It's actually floating above her hand. "How the fuck?"
"I don't know. I just know I have this...power."
"Since when?"
"A few weeks ago. I think I've been able to do it forever, but I've just been getting stronger. I've been practicing, too," she says as if it's completely normal to have telekinetic powers.
"You're serious?"
She nods wordlessly. Her expression is unreadable.
"That's incredible." You smile, and she breaks into a grin.
"I guess it is."

———

The moment she steps out of her house, your breath is taken away. She looks absolutely stunning. She looks inhumanly beautiful. You suppose it's because she's not really human.
"You look incredible," you breathe, looking her over. She smiles shyly and looks down. Her pink dress hugs her figure, and you can't stop staring at her. She looks so good.
"So do you," she says, looking up and meeting your eyes again.
"Shall we?" you ask, gesturing to the limo.
"You got a limo?" she asks, and you shrug.
"Special night, yeah?"
She smiles in response, and your heart skips a beat.
You can't believe this is really happening.
You climb in the limo together and head to school. You're slightly nervous, but not as much as she is. You can see the nervousness radiating off her, and you wish you could calm her down. You wouldn't be surprised if things started floating around her.
"It's going to be amazing," you assure her, and she smiles to you.
"I hope."
You arrive at school and walk inside together. Nobody stares. Nobody points and calls you the lesbian freaks (which had been a school favorite, it seems). Nobody cares that much anymore. It's prom. Everyone is just trying to have a nice time.
"Can we sit?" she asks, pulling you toward an open table. She sits down and looks up at you.
"Let me go get us something to drink," you say, and she looks reluctant to let you leave. But she finally nods.
You go and grab a drink for the both of you. Only someone touches your shoulder. You spin around, nearly dropping both drinks in your hands.
"Whoa. No need to be so surprised," he says. It's Josh. Your ex.
"What is it?" you ask, and he lets out an awkward laugh.
"I was wondering if you wanted to dance—as friends."
Your face softens. You'd expected him to say something about Carrie; you didn't expect this. You'd broken it off with a mutual agreement, and you've stayed friends. It just didn't really work out. You're a lot better platonically than romantically.
"Sorry, but I'm here with someone," you explain, trying to give him what you hope is an apologetic smile.
His face flushes, and you feel bad.
"I thought you'd be here alone, too," he says. You know he was dating someone, but it seems that's not the case anymore.
"Come sit with us," you tell him. He smiles slightly, and you lead him to your table.
Carrie smiles when she sees you, but her face falls when she sees Josh.
"What is he doing here?" she asks you quietly as you set down your drinks and sit beside her.
"I asked him to sit with us," you respond. She looks worried and almost scared.
"You're here with Carrie?" Josh asks, making you look to him. He looks surprised—not judgmental, but just surprised.
"Yeah. She's my girlfriend," you reply, and he lets out a breath.
"I didn't know you were for real."
"Well we are," you say, feeling defensive already. You feel Carrie put a hand on your arm.
"It's fine," she tries to assure you.
"It isn't." You feel your face flush. "Nobody takes us seriously."
"Why do you care about what people think of us?" she asks, and you look to her. Your eyes meet her green ones, and your heart softens.
"I don't know," you answer honestly, and she smiles slightly.
"It doesn't matter."
"Sorry," Josh says softly, and you look to him. "I would have reacted the same way if you were with any other girl," he says as if that will make it better.
You give up. You let it go. He doesn't mean anything by it; you know him well enough to know that.
"Okay," you reply, giving him a smile.
The tension dissipates from the air, and the night goes on. You ask Chloë if she wants to dance; she refuses each time. She's too anxious during the faster songs.
"Once a slow song comes on," you say, and she agrees.
Josh eventually goes away, excusing himself and wandering off on his own.
You take a sip of your punch. It doesn't taste as atrocious as you thought it would. As you look around the room, you notice the ballots for the prom king and queen being collected. You know you were on there with Josh. It was decided so early on; they clearly didn't account for the ebb and flow of high school relationships.
You sigh as you look to your own ballot box. You take one of the papers and scratch out Josh's name before writing in Carrie's.
"What are you doing?" she asks, and you look to her.
"Why not?"
She looks into your eyes for a moment, and then she grins.
"Yeah, sure. Why not?"

A/N
Sorry this is taking so long
I've been really busy with school and stuff but I'm trying to write more