06

SCREECHES. Those were the sounds the gladers and glenners heard the most. Running, something they focused on. They sprinted into a thin hallway which was dimly lit. Thea pushed herself off of the stone wall as she almost slammed into it. They all were breathing heavily as they sprinted. "Okay, run! go! go!" hollered Teresa loudly.

On their way to the end of the hallway, Thea noticed how she ran past winston who stood protectively in front of the group as the cranks neared. "Just keep going!" Teresa let out a strangled yell making Thea panic at they all huddled up trying to escape the vicious creatures. "Come on, they're coming!" informed Newt as he sprinted away with the group in hopes of escaping.

That worked until they met a dead end. "Great." muttered Thea quietly, the plan seemed to work - until now at least. "It's a dead end!" shouted Minho with panic present in his voice. Thomas wriggled at the locked door, trying to open it. "Get us out of here, Thomas!" yelled Teresa to Thomas. Her icy blue eyes went wide as she heard the screeches of the nearing cranks.

"This one!" grunted Thomas rather loudly as he pushed against the red door. "I'll hold them back!" inquired Winston over the cranks screaming. He turned around with a gun in his hand and started to shoot at them. One after one fell, but not quickly enough. While Winston was holding the cranks back, the others started to kick the red door which kept them from escaping.

"Harder-" encouraged Teresa as she continued to kick the door. "No, really?" mumbled Thea sarcastically under her breath as she also kicked the door. "Get that door open!" screamed Winston as he continued to shoot the cranks. "Move!" shouted Frypan over the noise of the cranks and over the sound of the bullets being shot.

"Come on Frypan! Let's go!" encouraged Minho as Frypan ran against the door, making it fall open. "Come on! It's open!" declared Minho more towards Winston. "Everyone through! Come on! Come on!" hurried Thomas who stood beside the open door. As Winston ran towards the door he got scratched by a crank. He dropped to the floor. Thomas and Minho - who stood behind the door as they wanted to close it - immediatly came to their friends' rescue.

"Winston!" cried Thomas out as he saw his friend getting pulled away by cranks. Thea made the rather rational decision to leap forward to help Winston out, she knew how he felt as the same happened to her. The former gripped onto the door with his dear life as Thea and Newt rushed forwards trying to pull him away from the cranks while Minho and Thomas were trying to close the door. "Help me!" he cried out in pain as several hands grabbed onto his body.

"Please! Oh my god!" it was hurtful to hear his pained screams. Thea's was in a sort of trance as she continued to pull Winston out of there. She saw the scratches the cranks left on his abdomen, they were bleeding pretty badly. His screams continued to echo over the screeches of the cranks.

It felt like they were pulling for an eternity before they finally managed to free Winston from his vicious death trap. He fell back into their arms while letting out a pained moan. Thomas and Minho pushed the red door trying to close it, but it had no use. "Go, go, go!" shouted täThomas out to his friends as they pulled Winston away. "Get up Winston!" encouraged Minho the injured glader.

They helped Winston to his feet as he limped alongside them. That's when Thea noticed that Newt also limped, he actually did the whole time. She made a mental note to herself that she would ask him later about it. Now she should focuse on other things. "Hurry!" cried Teresa out in panic. "Come on!" thundered Thea loudly. She usually wasn't the one to be the loudest but there is a first for everything.

As they rushed away from the door, Thea could hear Thomas telling Minho to run towards them which the asian boy did. And with that, Thomas also ran letting the door fall open. Dozens of cranks stormed out, screeching and groaning while doing so. The two boys ran and ran towards the rest of the group. Now, all of them needed to work together no matter what.

Adrenaline. It was pumping through the blond girl's veins. All of her surrondings were blurred out for her as they ran away from the cranks, from their death. Beads of sweat covered her forehead, tears brimmed in her eyes as she ran. Her injury, seemingly forgotten. The knowledge that if she would stop, she would probably be scratched to death by those creatures made her continue.

It felt like an eternity. The group ran and ran, Thea didn't even know how her legs haven't given up yet, she couldn't feel them anymore, it was like they moved by themselves. They ran through the whole shopping centre, on their way they saw a fewer cranks which joined the group of cranks behind them.

Time. Something Thea couldn't grasp anymore. She didn't know how long it took them to get away from the cranks, she didn't know how long they've been in the scorch. But she knew that she hated it. Not in her whole time in the glen she would've thought that one day she would say that she would rather be in the glen.

Thea wasn't in the glen anymore, she was in the scorch with no way back now. In her own opinion, she should just stuff it and stop being such a stick. It was her decision to enter the scorch with the others and she should own up to it. What mattered now was that they would escape the cranks.

A bridge. That's what they hid under. A finching bridge. Great. Or at least a small opening beneath a bridge. It was covered by rumble and stone, creating a perfect hiding place for them. They all slipped in and crouched down as they sat there, hearing the screeches of the cranks echoeing all over the place. "Thomas. get in." whispered Frypan as Thomas - who was the last one - slipped in.

The latter deactivated his flashlight, making it quite dark. The screeches were disturbing and distant. They all kept quiet, shushig one another if they made any noise at all. It wasn't exactly comfortable, but it was the best they could get.

The night time started to creep up, making Thea extremely sleepy. Her hand was still aching horribly, it was her bad hand. It reminded her - like many things - of the time in the glen. It was a mere accident, which led to so much. She tried to not think about it. Her eyelids started to get heavy as she started to close her eyes, letting sleep overtaking her.

Newt - who was beside her - noticed a light weight on his shoulder just as he closed his eyes. He quietly glanced to his side to see Thea leaning on him. A light smile was etched upon her lips as she slept quietly, not making a sound. Newt was wondering what she was dreaming about, she looked happy, something he hasn't seen on her often. Even if they had only known one another for a couple of hours, it felt like he had known her for eternity.

"Maybe I knew her before the maze?" he questioned in his mind. It could be possible, maybe they were friends. She seemed kind and caring, but also emotional. Out of some reason his heart ached at the mere thought of her getting hurt. Maybe they were something more once, maybe. Newt was determined to find out more about that. he also noticed how she held her left hand carefully.

It was tinted red with scratches covering it. It looked quite painful. here and there were a fewer beads of blood upon it. The injury wasn't new, it was old. He made a mental note to himself, he would ask her about it. Maybe it had a story behind it.

Sleep also overtook him slowly. His brown eyes disappeared behind his eyelids as he leaned his head on Thea's. And there they slept. Two former lovers, neither remembered one another. Their hearts aching for the voids to be filled. Their love for one another was endless and pure. It was existent, but not remembered. It was forgotten.

-----

So they finally escaped the cranks (took long enough). I need to admit though, that I kinda dragged it for too long, sorry about that. How did you like the new Newt and Thea moment? I kinda ship it myself now, great. I already feel bad for Winston, he is so underrated.