Part of Me

Darkness...

It's where I lived for the past three years. Every person around me gives me smiles, like matches, burning with fire, trying to lit me up and trying to make everything fine. But I'm always lost. I should be happy, but there's this part of me, that is missing. My heart, my mind, my soul, they always feel incomplete, and day by day, I'm feeling more empty.

"Cath!"

Cath. That was my name. I got into a car accident three years ago and got a severe head injury that led me into having an amnesia. I woke up and I saw him beside me and explained everything. I was 20 years old. I'm an orphan and my Mom and Dad died when I was just a kid. I met him in high school and we've been dating for five years.

"Ken."  I turned around then I saw him. I gave him a weak smile. Kenneth San Jose. That's the name of my boyfriend. He came running to hug me, giving me that smile again. The smile that I know has been trying to save me from this blinding darkness. It's what I thought.

"Did it happen again?" He asked, fear filling his eyes.

"No. Don't worry." I lied. It happens everyday, and it happened again this morning. Everyday, I'm collecting every memory. Piece by piece. I'm slowly completing my own puzzle alone. I know he's lying to me about everything. I can't figure out why. But I can't tell him the truth... not until I'm completely back under the light.

My name is Kaycee. I live in Los Angeles. I know that my parents are still alive. I still can't remember their names but I could see their faces every time it occurs. I have a sister, Kylie who I always argue with, but shares laughter with at the same time and Devon, my brother who's super protective but teases me a lot at home. I could see some faces, I heard myself calling their names. Tahani, Bailey, Julian, Josh, Char. I'm slowly remembering them, except for this one person.

Whenever he flashes in my mind, I endure all the pain and try my best to remember him. I can't see his face, but his voice, his laugh... whenever it flashes, my heart pounds so fast. As if he's the missing part and he's the only person who could complete this longing that I feel, this emptiness that I have.

Who are you?

****

The next day, Kenneth came to talk to me, saying he has to leave me for a week. He's flying to Las Vegas for another dance event that requires his attendance. I gave him a short smile before he leans in to kiss my forehead. That kiss... I don't know but as the days pass, I could barely find the love that I have for him. Even from the start, I couldn't feel anything. Kenneth is a good person who could have a bad temper sometimes, but I never felt that love for him. Is it because all this time, he's been lying? "I don't want us to fight again, and I know you also do. So you must know how to obey everything that I told you," he said before finally leaving.

I watched as his car went off. I hurriedly went inside to go into my room, but I suddenly paused when I my eyes caught something.

It's a little room that has a big wall mirror. I've always been curious about this place. The last time that I went inside, Kenneth got so mad that he almost hit me, saying that he prohibited me to go inside that room and I should've obeyed him. It was the first time he looked extremely terrifying to me. I looked around. He's not here. I twisted the door knob just to find out that it's locked.

I almost had a heart attack when I heard the doorbell ring. I rushed to open and see who could that be. My heart felt ease when I saw the person I've been waiting so much to arrive.