10. Two Soldiers and Two Scientists

The next day, Steve and Jessie were picked up by Agent Phil Coulson. The three were heading to the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier to meet with Director Fury and their new co-workers. They were in a Quinjet, Steve and Jessie both watching the Hulk's attack on the army at Culver University.

"We're about forty minutes from base, Sir," the pilot said to Coulson. He stood up and walked over to Steve and Jessie.

"So, this Doctor Banner was trying to replicate the serum that was used on Jess then me?" Steve asked. Coulson nodded slightly.

"A lot of people were," he replied. "You were the world's first superheroes. Banner thought Gamma Radiation might hold the key to unlocking Erskine's original formula."

"Didn't really go his way, did it?"

"Not so much. When he's not that thing though, guy's like a Stephen Hawking." Steve gave him a confused look. "He's a smart person. I gotta say, it's an honor to meet you two, officially." Jessie and Steve smiled at Coulson. "I sort of met you, I mean, I watched you while you were sleeping, Cap." Jessie opened her mouth as if to say something but quickly shut it. Steve looked down. He closed the laptop and stood up walking to the other side of the plane, standing behind the pilot. Coulson followed and stood next to him. Jessie stayed where she was.

"I mean, I was... I was present while you were unconscious from the ice," Coulson said trying to correct himself. "You know, it's really, it's just a... Just a huge honor to have you two on board."

"Well, I hope we're the man and woman for the job," Steve replied flashing a quick smile to Jessie.

"Oh, you are. Absolutely. Uh... We've made some modifications to your suits. I had a little design input."

"The uniform? Aren't stars and stripes a little... Old fashioned?"

"Stark did modifications to her metal arm. But with everything that's happening, the things that are about to come to light, people might need a little old fashioned."

The Quinjet later landed on a Helicarrier in the water disguised as a Battleship. Steve and Jessie walked out with Coulson and saw Natasha standing with another man. She walked over to the three.

"Agent Romanoff. This is Captain Rogers and Sergeant Evans," Coulson introduced. Jessie turned to Coulson.

"Already met," she said.

"Ma'am," Steve greeted.

"Captain, Sergeant," Natasha spoke. She turned to Coulson. "They need you on the bridge. Face time."

"See you there," Coulson said to Steve and Jessie walking away. Natasha began to walk toward the rail of the ship. Steve put his arm around Jessie's shoulders, keeping her calm from how nervous she was about being on the Helicarrier, and followed Natasha.

"There was quite the buzz around here, finding you in the ice. I thought Coulson was gonna swoon. Did he ask you to sign his Captain America and Winter Patriot trading cards yet?"

"Trading cards?" Jessie asked. Natasha looked at the confused Sergeant.

"They're vintage, he's very proud." They began to walk over to Bruce Banner who was looking around, quite nervous. Jessie could sense his annoyance with people walking in his way and nervousness with being on the ship.

"Dr. Banner," she greeted. He turned to face the small group and shook Jessie and Steve's hands.

"Oh, yeah," he said, his voice almost quiet. "Hi. They told me the Captain and the Silent Sergeant would be coming." Steve smirked at the 'Silent Sergeant' remark.

"Word is you can find the cube," he stated.

"Is that the only word on me?"

"Only word we care about."

"Must be strange for the both of you, all of this."

"Well, this is actually kind of familiar."

"Gentlemen, Sergeant, you may wanna step inside in a minute. It's gonna get a little hard to breathe," Natasha stated. The Helicarrier began to shake as propellers showed above the water, preparing to lift into the air for flight. Everyone on the runway began to run either into the Helicarrier or to strap the Quinjet's to the runway.

"Is this a submarine?" Steve asked.

"Really?" Bruce asked. "They want me in a submerged pressurized metal container?" They look over the edge to see the propeller type fans. "Oh, no. This is much worse."

Steve, Bruce and Jessie make their way to the bridge of the Helicarrier, which is now in flight, following Natasha. The light from the sun made the room gleam from the open window in the front. Agents were walking around, helping one another on the computer. Nick was standing in the middle of the back of the room at computer station. Steve and Jessie stuck together while Bruce stayed in the back and Natasha walked away. The female Sergeant took ten dollars out of her pocket. The whole outside of the ship camouflaged itself in reflective mirrors, making it seem invisible on the outside. Jessie and Steve walked over toward Fury along with Bruce.

"Gentlemen, Sergeant Evans," Fury greeted. Jessie handed Fury the ten dollars. Steve did the same. Fury took the money and walked over to Banner. "Doctor, thank you for coming."

"Thank you for asking nicely," Bruce replied. "So, uh... How long am I staying?"

"Once we get our hands on the Tesseract, you're in the clear." Nick turned to Agent Coulson to do any further explaining. Natasha eyed an image of Agent Clint Barton on the computer screen.

"We're sweeping every wireless accessible camera on the planet," Coulson explained. "Cell phones, laptops. If it's connected to a satellite, it's eyes and ears for us."

"That's still not going to find them in time," Natasha said with doubt in her voice.

"You have to narrow the field," Bruce remarked. "How many spectrometers do you have access to?"

"How many are there?" Nick asked in reply.

"Call every lab you know, tell them to put the spectrometers on the roof and calibrate them for gamma rays," Jessie said, knowing what the Doctor was referring to. He looked at her. "I'll rough out a tracking algorithm based on cluster recognition. At least we could rule out a few places. Do you have somewhere for us to work?"

"Agent Romanoff, would you show Dr. Banner and Sergeant Evans to their laboratory, please. Natasha nodded. "You know, Evans, for an older woman, you know a lot about recent technology and science."

"Just thank Natasha and Clint for helping me." Natasha began to walk off, leading Bruce and Jessie to the lab. After they were shown to the lab, Jessie helped Bruce begin track Loki's location with the spectrometers. She left the lab and went to find Steve who was still in the bridge. A mentally fangirling Agent Coulson was talking with him.

"I mean, if it's not too much trouble," Coulson pleaded.

"No, no. It's fine," Steve said. They noticed Jessie. "I don't know about the 'Silent Sergeant' though." He smirked as she stuck her tongue out.

"It's a vintage set. It took me a couple of years to collect them all. Near mint, slight foxing around the edges, but..."

"We got a hit," an Agent said. "Sixty seven percent match. Wait, cross match, seventy nine percent."

"Location?"

"Stuttgart, Germany," the Agent replied. "28, Konigstrasse. He's not exactly hiding."

"Captain, Sergeant, you're up," Nick said. They nodded and left, following Agent Coulson who showed them to the room where their suits were. When they walked into the room, Steve and Jessie slowly walked toward the cases their uniforms were in. Coulson was right about the modification fact. The cybernetic arm looked different. They got their uniforms on with no questions and began to head to Germany with Natasha.