Chapter Sixty-Four: Meeting the Danish Royalty

Isla of Sussex

I smiled as Victoria lowered Queen Mary's Bandeau tiara onto my head. 

"It's a very beautiful tiara

"It's a very beautiful tiara." She said and I smiled as I stood up and looked into the mirror. 

"I wondered why she sent it with me. It goes well with this dress." I said before I lowered the dark blue sash onto my body and pinned the little ribbon that had Her Majesty's photo on. 

A knock came to the door and in came Daniel and Carl. 

"You two both look beautiful." They both said and I smiled as I hugged Daniel. 

"You two don't look that bad either," I said and they chuckled. 

"Are we ready?" Victoria asked and the guys nodded before leading us to the stairwell. I linked my arm with Carl's as we made our way downstairs. I smiled when I saw Queen Margrethe and her husband Prince Henrik and her son Prince Fredrick and Princess Mary. 

"Your Highnesses." Queen Margrethe said and Victoria and Daniel walked over and bowed. I followed Carl's leade and smiled. 

"Isla, the Duchess of Sussex." She said and I quickly curtsied. 

"Your Majesty," I said and she smiled before she kissed both my cheeks. 

"You are glowing. How far along are you?" She asked after I bowed to Henrik. 

"Six months today. I'm supposed to give birth at the end of March." I said after I hugged Fredrick and Mary. 

"You only look like your four months. You have such a small belly." Mary said and I smiled before moving on to Joachim and Marie. 

"Everyone says that. But I'm six months." I said before Gustaf and Silvia came towards us. I dropped into a curtsied with Carl holding my hand. 

"Hello everyone. Margrethe," Gustaf said and I smiled as the hugged each other. 

"Let us begin." He said before he linked arms with Silvia and Her Majesty smiled at her husband and the linked arms before we lined up and followed at them. Carl and I fell in line with Jochiam and Marie. 

"You are glowing Isla. Do you want a boy or girl?" Marie asked as we walked through the doors. 

"Whatever God graces me with. As long as the baby is healthy." I said before we made our way to our tables and stood in front of seats. Gustaf and Margrethe stood side by side with each other before the sat down and we all followed them. 

I smiled as Carl pushed my seat in before sitting down himself and the salad was brought out. 

"When does your husband come home?" Marie asked and I smiled. 

"After Christmas. I was hoping he would be here for Christmas." I said and Jochiam smiled. 

"When we heard he was going. We wanted to reach out but we thought it would be awkward because we have never met before today." He said and I smiled. 

"Well, now we have met. Feel free to reach out whenever." I said before I went back to my salad. I smiled as the music began to play. I would go to Sussex to open a business building in its University. But that wouldn't be for another three days. 

"Isla honey?" A voice asked and I turned to see Mary there. 

"Yes?" 

"I was wondering if tomorrow you would like to go out shopping. Just us." She said and I smiled. 

"I will love too. I haven't gone clothes shopping for myself in months." I said and she smiled. 

"Alright, we will leave at two." She said before standing back up and going back to her husband. Soon our salads were taken away and our dinner was placed in front of us. I smiled at my chicken alfredo. 

"One month you hate this. The next you love it." Carl said and I chuckled. 

"When your future wife gets pregnant you'll understand," I said and Carl smirked before we both went back to eating. Before the second course began dancers came out and I smiled. 

"Do you like to dance?" Marie asked and I nodded. 

"I love to dance. My grandfather taught me how to dance to salsa, the waltz, and a couple others. He was the reason I love to dance." I said as the first dance ended and I clapped. 

"How old were you when he died?" Carl asked and I smiled. 

"I was thirteen. Three weeks after my birthday and my mum told me and my brother to go wake him up. We raced to his room and my brother went in first. When he came out without my grandfather I knew something was wrong." I said before Marie handed me a tissue and I wiped my eyes. 

"If I may, how did he die?" Joachim asked. 

"The same way my brother did. Drinking too much. But that was fifteen years ago. I can't be mad at him still." I said and Carl stood up and offered me his hand. 

"Come on, no more sadness. Let's dance this away." He said and I smiled before I grabbed his hand and he led me onto the dance floor. Daniel and Victoria followed us and smiled. 

The music began and I smiled as I realized it was the waltz and my eyes watered up. 

"You ready?" Carl asked and I smiled before I stepped forward and when we moved across the dance floor I let out a laugh. 

"Are you better now?" Carl asked and I nodded as the song ended and everyone clapped. 

"Loads better. Thank you, Carl." I said as we made our way back to our table. 

"Isla, before you sit down come here." His Majesty said and I looked at Carl before I made over to their table. I sat down and smiled. 

"Yes, Your Majesty?" I asked as he smiled. 

"I saw the way you danced with Carl. Do you love to dance?" 

"I love to dance. My grandfather taught me before he died." I said and Silvia smiled.

"In two days before you leave, I want you and Madeline to go to the Scandinavian Dance Academy." He said and I smiled. 

"I will love to Your Majesty," I said before I felt a wave of dizziness. 

"Isla!" I heard someone yell and I opened my eyes to see myself in Carl's arm. 

"You almost fell out of the chair. Are you alright?" He asked and I let out a cough. 

"Um, I think I want to go back to my room." I said and Carl nodded. 

"Come on."