Chapter 3

Monday came faster than I could handle. After my wild night on the town Friday, and the most unconventional Saturday morning ever, I spent the rest of the weekend dragging. Little was done to better prepare myself for the unavoidable contact with humanity, let alone my first day of my internship—the reason I was here in the lap of luxury in the first place.

But on the contrary to my encounter with the devil, I happened to find a bright spot.

Putting on my blazer in the morning was eye opening for me. It was the first time, in a very, very long time, that I felt like my life was in my hands. My mother wasn't behind me telling me she didn't like that I had only buttoned the blazer up half way instead of three quarters of the way. Seth wasn't in my ear about having to leave early so he could jam in a quickie with a girl before school started. And my dad wasn't ranting on the phone to doctors about the price of a surgery.

I was about to go into the world, and everything from the taxi I rode in to the food I would eat for lunch, was up to me. Finally, I had the freedom I had craved for so long to do whatever the hell I wanted and nobody could yell at me about it.

There are no strings on me, bitch.

I ran a brush through my hair one more time before giving myself one last glance over. This was it. My pencil skirt and blouse had been pressed and flattened—no wrinkles. My thick, long, glossy brown hair was styled without a lock out of place. And my blazer was buttoned up halfway.

Yes, I'm all grown up now.

I grabbed my wallet, my temporarily ID badge, and a hair tie, and that was all I needed. After a quick press of the button to turn off the oven I accidentally left on, I sprinted out the door and to the elevator.

Once downstairs, I quickly summoned a taxi. Turns out being pretty in New York comes in handy.

"Where to?"

I shut the door. "Matteo."

"The international luxury car headquarters?"

"That would be the one."

The taxi roared to life and joined the line of the morning workforce in New York City. I didn't know wether to be proud or sad that I was one of them. Those people were married to their jobs. I didn't want to become too attached to my temporary internship.

When we got to the building, I quickly paid the taxi and then jumped out. And that's when I almost got ran over for not looking up two seconds afterward.

"Watch where you're going!"

"Get our of the way, princess!"

My eyes widened. I couldn't be more on the edge of the sidewalk.

I love it.

Feeling more empowered than ever, I aggressively shoved through the crowd to get to the doors of the building. And nobody said anything. This could indeed be entertaining.

I walked into the building and, following my mother's strict instruction, went to the lobby desk. The women there were all on the phone, and were dressed more skimpily than me.

I drummed my fingers on the lobby desk. "Excuse me?"

A blonde looked up. She stared at me for a moment before returning to her call.

I rolled my eyes. Typical. Her sugar daddy could wait.

I moved over to the next girl, a brunette. "Hello?"

She saw me, and quickly put her phone down. "How can I help you?" She chirped

I was taken back for a moment. That was a complete one eighty from the other girl.