Chapter 17

BJ Carter sat beside her brother's bed brushing his hair gently. Jane and Bob had run down to the cafeteria to get something to eat. BJ worried that her parents hadn't been eating enough since Nick's.. Accident. Aaron came into the room and hopped onto Nick's bed.

"Aaron! Don't do that!" BJ scolded him. She was so afraid he pull out a cord or wire that Nick needed to keep him breathing. She frowned as she stared at the oxygen mask that had been slipped over her brother's face.

"Sorry," Aaron apologized sheepishly, "Hey Nick, BJ's making you look like a girl!"

"I am not!" BJ said, "I'm just making it neat."

"Nick, BJ's... AAAAAH!" Aaron nearly jumped out of his skin. BJ dropped the brush and jumped back with a short yelp. Nick's eyes flew open all of a sudden and he bolted upright in the bed nearly knocking Aaron off. He ripped the oxygen mask off his face as he sat in the bed gasping and running his hands through his hair. Aaron and BJ stared at him wide eyed and open mouthed.

"N..N..Nick?" Aaron was the first one to speak. He touched Nick's arm gently.

Nick's haunted blue eyes looked down at Aaron, his pale arm shook under Aaron's grasp, "Where am I?" he asked in a small voice.

BJ laughed and clapped her hands. She ran her hands through her brother's hair, "You're in a hospital Nicky, but you're ok now."

"Yeah," Aaron was grinning now too, "Those doctors said you were gonna die, but I knew you wouldn't!"

Nick stared at them both not speaking. Tears began to snake patterns down his face, his shoulders shook with sobs. BJ quickly took him in her arms and held him tight, "Aaron, go get Mom and Dad, oh and a doctor!"

"It's gonna be ok, Nick," BJ rocked him back and forth and rubbed his back.

"I'm sorry..." Nick was mumbling over and over," I'm sorry."

A doctor followed by Bob and Jane Carter entered the room shortly.

"Well look whose finally decided to join us back in the world of the living," the doctor said cheerfully, but didn't know how close he really was to the truth.