Chapter 5

✶✶✶

S I M O N

I remember that I volunteered to help Dev with football practice the next day, so I head over there. Through the familiar path that reminds me of coming here to watch them practice on days, I didn't have anything else to do. I missed the pitch.

Dev is standing on the corner with a whistle around his neck as the boys run around the field. I remember that I'm not even the slightest bit talented in the sport, and then question why ever did I volunteer.

"Hey, Dev!" I yell from across the field. He gives me a wave, and when I get over there explains that I just need to watch them so that they don't kill each other. His words.

I watch the kids, sometimes I run around with them, and very poorly, kick the ball over to another player. We all laugh and jump around the field as the sun hits our backs and beads of sweat drip down our forehead. I don't feel any older than 15.

By the end of practice, we are all flushed by the adrenaline, and stink with sweat. I smile and wave to them as I leave to go back to my room. I really need a shower.

Penny tags along with me as I pass the courtyard.

"What are you doing for Christmas?" I swing an arm around her shoulder but she makes a disgusted face, "How are you sweaty in the middle of December?!"

"Football," I smile because she knows how much I miss sucking at the sport, "And nothing."

"Well, you could-"

"Don't even bother telling me to come with you because I'm sure as hell not feeling up for another third wheeling situation."

"We won't make you feel like a third wheel," She adds, but she has a humor in her eyes that makes me question otherwise.

"That what you said last time," She knows I'm referring to eighth year Christmas where I had to bunk in with her younger siblings because her room was too small for me, her, and Micah.

"But then where will you go?" She has her concentrating face on.

"Quarantine invited me to come with her and some of the other teachers, I think I might go," I say as we go up the stairs to the top floor of the Fraternity House.

"But you just met them, will you be okay with that?"

"I was actually going to refuse," I look at my feet, "I wanted to stay here. You know. To get all of Watford that I can."

"So you don't want to leave after the year is over?"

"I - I... no," If it's possible, I try to make myself smaller and lean against the door of my room. For some weird reason, neither of us makes a move to go inside.

"You know you could've told me. I can probably find you something to do here," She says it like it's the simplest thing. Like her, one sentence didn't completely change my life.

"What could I possibly do? I can't be anything other than a magician with magic I don't know how to use," Now I sink down, and she follows. We sit against the door and she rests her hand on my arm for a type of comfort that words can't provide.

"Simon. You are so much more than that."

"Yeah. What? What is it about me that is more than that? If I didn't have my magic, I might as well be a homeless bloke on the streets of London!"

"Simon," She turns to look at me and has a fierce glint in her eyes, "You are kind and captivating and you are so good with people. Do you know how excited the class gets when you come in? People like you for more than just your powers!" She holds my gaze, and I rest my head on her shoulder. We sit like this until I hear footsteps coming up the stairs and she side-hugs me and gets up to leave.