Chapter 19

Rapunzel

We found ourselves back at Manny's. This time, however, we were greeted by four women.

"Hello," one said. "We are the Man in the Moon's helpers. We are here to help with your delivery. Merida and Hiccup, you will come with me. Rapunzel and Jack, you will stay here."

Merida and Hiccup waved goodbye to us as they followed the two women. The remaining two gestured for us to follow.

They led us to a small room with a bed in the middle. There were towels nearby. At the end of the bed was a chair and a table with what looked like scissors and an oversized dropper.

"Please change into this," one of them said, holding out a white gown. I made Jack turn around before I put it on. It fell to my knees and made me feel like a little girl in short dresses again.

I had just finished folding my dress when pain shot through my abdomen. I arched my back, squeezing my eyes shut. Arms caught me before I hit the ground. I was being lifted onto the bed, which felt more like a table with a pillow.

"Rapunzel, you need to do exactly what I tell you to do," the woman said.

I nodded. Jack held my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. More pain shot through my body.

"It's okay Punzie, you're fine," Jack whispered.

"Rapunzel, I need you to take a deep breath. On the count of three, push. One, two, three!"

I felt like all the air was being sucked out of me. I couldn't take in air, and I had no air left to get out.

"And, breathe!"

I sucked in as much air as my lungs would allow.

We repeated that process for what seemed like forever. I never felt relief from the pain through the whole process. It just kept coming at me. When I would finally get used to the level of pain, it would suddenly become stronger.

After a whole lifetime had passed, I felt sweet relief. I could breathe without interruption. Jack, kissed my forehead, muttering something about how amazing I had been.

"Rapunzel, do you want to meet your daughter?" I suddenly felt all the weariness fall away. I was alert.

Jack helped me sit up. The woman put a blanket in my arms. Wrapped in the blanket was the most adorable thing I had ever seen.

A baby with very light blonde hair and tiny fingers curled up in a fist lay in my arms. Her eyes were closed, but she wasn't asleep. Her little hands moved up towards me, as if sensing I was there.

Jack wrapped his arm around me, sitting on the edge of the bed. I was holding our daughter. I leaned back into his chest. I felt happier than I had ever felt before.

"She's got your nose," Jack said, breaking the silence. At the sound of his voice, she opened her eyes. They were a startling blue, almost icy. She seemed to study us before closing her eyes again.

"She has your eyes," I replied. Jack chuckled.

"Do you have any names in mind?"

I studied our little daughter. A name burst into my mind, and I smiled.

"Orianna."