Episode 17: Rescue

I sat on the ground, looking at Kohri and Nori work on fixing Agnes

I sat on the ground, looking at Kohri and Nori work on fixing Agnes. It was what little I had to keep my mind off of Rosa who was also sitting down but with her back to me. It hurt more than her slap to have her so close, yet be unable to talk to her. The gap between us might as well had been as infinite as this realm.

"How's the shield?" I finally asked after hours of aimless drifting.

"I managed to fix the dents a little, but I wasn't able to make a full repair. We'll need to return to the surface and use fire or whatever was used in the formation of it. The wood in the center...I'm not sure if it's combustible. Do any of you know how it was made?"

"Wait, weren't you tasked to fix the shield and the other weapons in the first place?" Hyosetsu asked. "What kind of idiot doesn't know?"

"it's not my fault that the king didn't elaborate on the nature of the wood when he hired me!"

"We'll need to ask Father about that when we return," Setsuko said. "We can get it fixed once we've found Serrano."

"There, Yuko sees it!" Yuko yelled, jumping up and down. She pointed to a spiral shaped island. I had no doubt that it was the same one in which Yuko and I had nearly lost our lives a few days ago.

Hyosetsu formed an icy road for us to walk straight to a few floors lower than what Yuko and I had traveled through. The entire thing seemed to go miles and miles deeper, if not into infinity itself. Hopefully Serrrano wasn't at the bottom of that thing.

Kohri handed me back Agnes and we slide down the icy slope. Thankfully Kohri thought of covering the edges so we wouldn't slip off and fall into the unending abyss.

Yuko's hat moved as we got closer to the bottom of the slide. "Yuko hears something down there...it seems to be someone from our world. The sound is slowly fading."

"Me too!" Nori blurted out. He frowned.

Setsuko moved down the slide faster. As soon as she reached the bottom she looked around. "Where is the sound coming from?"

"Could it be Serrano?" Ximena asked, hope evident in her eyes.

Both Kyuu-Hyakuians covered their noses as their eyes widened. "No, no, no... It smells like death!" Yuko said, her eyes shaking with fear.

"Where is the scent originating from?" Setsuko asked, her face sweating despite the chilly air of the alien world.

"There!" Yuko said, still covering her nose. She pointed at an out of view location as we neared the end of the slide.

Setsuko jumped off the slide and ran on ahead. As soon as she turned the corner and let out a haunting shriek that made the world even more eerie than before.

I couldn't stand the smell of rotting flesh as soon as we got to the end. Yuko moved her head, as if in pain.

"Dead, dead!" she yelled, holding her head. She fell to her knees and out of a shriek. "So much death..."