Finding Alex- Chapter 5

-Jo- Past

I woke up to the sound of an ambulance's siren. I looked around me and I was back on the street.

"Hey! Watch it there boy! You don't want to be stealing nothin' now do you?" A man down the street screeched. I saw a blur rush by but caught it's features in a half a second. A boy. Blond hair around 5" 8', with a determined look. His clothes looked raggedy and he seemed like he's been on the street for, oh, two months. He stopped in front of me sensing my presence.

"Jo? Josephine Birkley? Is that you?" He says, stopping to come closer.

"Alex," I say to him in recognition, "It's been a while hasn't it?"

"Sure has," he says, shaking his head in disbelief. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, wasn't really looking to find you here but it's great I found a friend-"
"Whoa, I'm not sure we're friends Josephine," he says, putting up his bruised hand, "More like acquaintances."

I tilt my head up at him, "Sure acquaintances," I say, smiling up at him, "I was just watching you fail there..."

"Now, why?" He asks, walking closer, obviously intrigued that I would be so straight with him.

"Well, for one, your stealing skills are quite terrible..." I say pointing at his hands where once stood the bread from the food vendor.

"I don't take no insults miss," he demands, smiling a sly smile.

"And I don't take no beggar boys raidin' in on my sleep," I said, trying to mimic his accent. "Now, except my help if you must, you could learn a thing or too," I state plain and simple, sighing a quiet sigh.

His hard stare breaks into a solid acceptance, "so you think you could do better Josephine?" He gestures to the vendor, "prove it then." I turn away for a moment adjusting my hair into a tight ponytail. I start a few lunges in front of him and see him roll his eyes. I chuckle a little and walk a few steps up to him.

"The names Jo," I say, stretching out a hand to him. Revealing how different I am now that Kevin doesn't control my every move.

His eyes search mine and I feel an immediate connection just like I used to with him.

I whisper, "wait here," he looks at me with a fake scowl. I quickly glance at him as I walk forward.

I jog ahead. The vendor sits in a chair behind the booth, reading a magazine. As he flips a page, a lady comes up to him with a scold on her face.

"Patrick, get your butt over here for your daughter's senior pictures!" She yells at him.

"I'm doing something Lydia!" He yells back.

"If you don't do something to help your daughter in the near future she'll never come back from college! EVER!" Tears form in her eyes. "You don't want that do you Patrick?" She walks forward being a little more soft.

The vendor stands up from his chair, "no, of course I don't want that." He embraces her for a second and looks past her for his daughter. He starts a walk towards her with his wife in hand. I look back at Alex for a thumbs up but he just winks. I walk a way forward careful to look natural and proud. As I examine the contents of the food I notice a glittering set of keys. I quickly take them and stuff them deep into my pockets. I start grabbing the bread and then a few apples. Carefully tucking each of the things into my rucksack.

"Hey!" Yells a voice, "what are you doing?" I look up to see the man running up to me. "Get away from my food!" I freeze in my steps and try to turn away but he catches my wrist and throws me onto the ground. A deep pang splays through my ankle. He grabs my bag and points a finger at me. "Don't you do that again! Or next time I'll call the cops!" He lifts his hand to smack my face but as I close my eyes the blow never comes. Instead I hear the vendor yell, "get off me!" I open my eyes when a hand closes around my own to lift me up. Alex stands above me with worry plastered on his face.

"Come on," he says, "Jo," he adds, lifting me up gently. My leg gives out when I put pressure on my ankle.

"Ouch," I wince, "I think I broke my ankle."

He places his hand around my waist and under my legs. Lifting me off the ground. "Now let's find that car," he smiles at me. I smile back as I reach for the keys in my pocket...