Chapter Fifteen

Donovan's hands rose to cradle Jack's face and she curved her body against his, anxious to expand this fire until the flame burned her entire body. Hands tangled in hair and pins came undone and heat roared inside of Jack. When her eyes fluttered open, she caught sight of the eerie glow the moon cast, bathing them iridescent hues. Jack smiled against Donovan's lips.

Jack could scarcely keep track of her own emotions--excitement, furor, affection. They entangled themselves in her heart as she kissed him with a certainty that this was the best choice she'd ever made. Why, he was kind, he was interesting, and he was quite a good kisser. Jack couldn't imagine what else she could want in a man.

A shocked gasp forced Jack's eyelids to open and she pulled away from Donovan, surprised to find his hands now at her waist and hers tangled in his long hair. Goodness, this does look incriminating.

Jack expected to find Matilda Tuttlebrook or some other gossip standing before them, but the spectator she discovered was far worse.

"Jacqueline!" Anita exclaimed, covering her horrified mouth with a gloved hand. Jack's elder sister and the mother of Corrie and Christina a refined, elegant woman, Jack's opposite in every respect. Her brown hair touched with gray was pulled into a neat chiffon and her emerald green dress drew out the dark hues of her eyes. Jack flinched under her aghast glare.

"What in the name of--this isn't appropriate, Jack. It just isn't." Before Jack could say a word, Anita rushed towards her and grasped her arm, her slender fingers icy against Jack's skin. "Get up. You need to get back inside before the rest of the town sees this."

Despite her willowy frame and genteel air, Anita Walker was a strong woman and Jack reeled forward as Anita attempted to drag her back into the church. Jack stumbled forward and yelped at the pain in her wounded ankle. She looked back helplessly at Donovan who didn't know whether to find the scene amusing or horrid.

"I can't believe you, Jacqueline. You are the sister-in-law of the mayor, yet you insist on bringing this...this heathen to a church function for our troops. And as if that weren't enough, I catch you kissing him! Really, Jack, what are you thinking?"

Finally given the opportunity to defend herself, Jack jumped in, her cheeks flaming. "Oh, get off your high horse, Annie." Anita visibly bristled at the usage of her childhood nickname. "We aren't causing any trouble."

"You're always causing trouble, Jacqueline," she said with a sniff, raising her Roman nose higher. "Come back inside, immediately, or I'll be forced to inform the mayor."

Jack shuddered at the thought of her pretentious brother-in-law hearing of the kiss outside the church. He might exile her from the entire county if it were possible. "Fine. We'll be right back."

Anita flounced back into the church and Donovan rose to approach Jack, his steps smooth and graceful. Her face heated as he looked down at her, his neat hair now tussled by Jack's hands. He approached and took her hand, holding it between his.

"Perhaps that was a--"
Jack stopped him by squeezing his hand in her own as she tilted her head to look up at him. "Do you regret it?"

His lips twitched into a smile. "Not for a moment."

"Me neither."

Jack leaned up and kissed him lightly though even that was enough to send sensation through her body. Donovan squeezed her hand and Jack leaned into him as they limped back to the church, her head pressed against his arm. She didn't dare question the emotion fermenting in her heart, but she did cling tighter to Donovan to keep him closer to her.

Donovan and Jack, arm in arm, reentered the church to find the Ragtime dance in full swing, women in their voluminous skirts swept about by debonair gentlemen young and old to the syncopated beat of the quartet. Jack wished her ankle were not sprained so she could join in the affair. However, she was not so lucky to have their brief absence go unnoticed.