[4] I'm Not Stubborn

Start from the beginning

Crap, stupid tear ducts. I flounder, grasping for words. My instinct is to lie but I can't do that to Collette. What would I even say?

"I guess you're sensitive to the wind," Atty comments. There's no wind, not even a breeze.

Collette nods, then gives me a warm smile. "Time to head to June's!" she chimes. Then she chuckles and continues, "I'm sorry, Atty would come but he just got called in at work."

With that we're off. Atty rides away in his bike while the three of us take a short walk to June's, which I've learnt is not a fabric store like I had assumed, but rather a supermarket. It's a massive one floor structure with a crisp mocha exterior and a neon green sign reading 'June's' in fancy cursive.

Collette makes a face when she sees the few dozen customers crowded near the entrance. "It should be open already, where's Sid?" she grumbles under her breath. She then proceeds to placate the customers, who seem to love her anyways, and open for business.

"I have a complete monopoly in this neighborhood," Collette remarks, grinning wide.

I smile back, "something tells me when it comes to June's you're a complete shark."

She laughs, the kind where you throw your head back and let the joy wash through you. "You have no idea!" she exclaims, shaking her head.

I'm about to ask what exactly she's done but I get distracted by a tall man rushing towards us, disheveled and out of breath. He's so shaken by his short jog that his burgundy turban is slightly tilted. Judging by the look of absolute despair, this must be 'Sid'.

And I mean, the guy is wearing black and turquoise uniform with a name-tag reading 'Siddharth, Manager' so that helps as well.

He catches his breath then profusely apologizes to Collette, his words coming out so fast they meld into one incoherent string of syllables. She holds up her hands, gesturing for him to slow down.

He takes a moment then says, "I'm so sorry. This morning Dinesh hit his head against the kitchen counter and I had to take him to the ER to get stitches. It happened so fast I wasn't able to call in and let you know."

Collette gasps, bringing a hand to her mouth. Her big hazel eyes are flooded with concern. "Is he okay? What happened?!"

Sid responds with a chuckle, shaking his head. "The little jerk is completely fine, he only needed two stitches and now he gets to skip school and eat ice cream- watch cartoons. Not to mention the whole thing was his fault to begin with." At this, Sid gestures to a spot on his jaw, the left of his chin. There's a patch of hair missing from his beard, roughly the size of a quarter.

Oh damn, that is hilarious. I can't help it, I burst out laughing as tears prick my eyes. I can only imagine the chaos, holy crap I need to meet this Dinesh kid, I love him.

"The cousins came over yesterday for a sleepover and it was someone's bright idea to dare my idiot son to stick gum to my beard. When I got angry in the morning, he decided to run rather than get scolded and, in the process, he tripped."

As Collette and Sid launch into a heated discussion about the idiocy children display, Jay whispers something to her and she nods. He then taps my arm and gestures for us to head inside.

We get to the register just as a customer approaches with a full cart, half of which seems to be boxes of raisins. Its an old lady with the cutest voice I've ever heard and even cuter little hands. Oh my god, she makes me wish I had a grandma.

Jay explains to her that I'm a new hire in training and asks if its okay if he takes his time with her items. Of course, being as adorable as she is, she says yes. When we're done, she reaches over and pinches his cheek, fawning over him.