Chapter 31

The world seemed to stop when he said those words.

Kidnapped... kidnapped... kidnapped. Bethany had been kidnapped.

"I am on my way," I breathed out, trying to shake myself out of my stupor. "I will be there as soon as I can."

"No, don't. It could be a trap. We are checking out everywhere. Don't come."

"I am coming, Shardul. You can not stop me." I bared my teeth and growled out a warning. "I know that it could be a trap, but I don't care. She is a child, an innocent little girl."

I shoved open the door, almost running into Faolon. I shook my head when he opened his mouth to say something, slinking past him with an 'I'll call you later—promise.' while I left.

"Martha, p-"

"Please, don't try and stop me," I said, interrupting him. I was running towards the Tiger part, not even caring for my safety. "Do you know who the last person to see her is?"

There was a pause, and I could tell that he was debating whether or not to tell me. "Marcus," he said, finally, and I let out an almost murderous growl.

"Where is he?" I asked, barely able to keep the growls from being heard. "And do not lie to me."

Shardul sighed. He knew better than to lie to me, and I knew that he didn't want to tell me. He knew that both of us hated each other, and it would be a bad idea if we met when I was angry. "He is being held in the main house in the cells," he said. He paused. "I would like it if you calmed down before you talk to him. He is still the Second."

I bit back a growl and nodded my head. "Ok," I said finally. "Then, I will scout. Where was the last place that they were at?"

"I don't know," Shardul said with a sigh. "We tried to get him to tell us, but he has been muttering, "what have I done?" and moving back forth. He has been incoherent for a while now."

I huffed and nodded my head, even though I knew he wouldn't have seen it.

Something black flickered on the side of my vision, and I stopped and looked at the spot, curious.

A black snake stared at me and flicked out its long tongue. It started to slither away and into the forest with me gazing after it.

When it saw that I wasn't following, it slithered back and moved across my ankle. With some impressive force, the snake pulled at my leg, and I almost lost my balance.

"Martha? Are you ok?" Shardul asked when I cussed at almost losing my balance.

"Uh, ya, I think so. I think I found a lead. I will call you back as soon as I know something." I tried to shake off the snake, but it didn't let me go.

Shardul stayed silent. "Ok, just be careful," he said finally. "We do not need you kidnapped or dead. You are our only hope."

I stiffened, not knowing if what he had said was true. "I'll call you back as soon as I known something," I said, and I hung up the phone.

The snake still pulled me into the woods, not even caring that I was trying to follow it and get it off of my leg.

"Ok," I said, sounding exasperated. "I will follow you. Just let me go, stupid snake."

The snake stopped pulling me and unwound itself from my leg. The snake turned its head towards me as if to glare because I had called it 'stupid.'

"Would you go? I am running out of time."

Finally, the snake nodded before slithering off with me running behind it.

I had a feeling that the snake was a Snakeston, but I didn't know who. I just hoped that it was either Ryan or Shuman.

If not, then I was going to have some snake stew for breakfast.